Bay/creek ice report

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Bay/creek ice report

Postby cadillacmallard » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:19 am

Whats up everyone!!
I hope you are enjoying the season. I was wondering what the creeks and bays are looking like with this cold weather.I wanted to try to head down to barnegat on sat but was not certain weather the ramps will be to iced up to get out to the deep water.
Thanks,
Joe
cadillacmallard
hunter

Re: Bay/creek ice report

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Right now things are clear but ice is forming fast in the quiet areas. Ponds are solid but the bay and creeks are still clear. Who knows what the next couple of days will bring!!! Good luck and be safe.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby cadillacmallard » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:11 am

thanks, well see how it looks tomorrow morning. hopefully we can get a full morning hunt before it really starts coming down
cadillacmallard
hunter

Postby Basspond » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm

If you're going to Barnegat, the refuge at least, you'd best get there early. Most of the creeks and potholes are iced up.
Basspond
hunter

Postby cadillacmallard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Did anyone manage to get out this weekend? I didn't risk it with the uncertainty of the storm. How are the creeks looking now.
Thanks,
cadillacmallard
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Bays and creeks open, ponds not. Weather is going to warm up by the weekend so ice shouldn't be a concern. Birds are all over the place but bluebills still scarce. Ran into the big snowy owl up at Wreck Inlet late Saturday afternoon while scouting Old Squaws. Man, that bird has a bigger wing span than geese!!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby njducksanddogs » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Not much ice now after today was a little bit of ice on the edge of the creek this morning by sun up was gone. But not much other than black ducks flying,
njducksanddogs
hunter

Postby cadillacmallard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:45 am

thanks for the updates.We definatley have to take advantage of this break in the weather before the real winter weather sets in.
cadillacmallard
hunter

Postby Wallew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:44 am

I was out last Saturday in a pretty good size south jersey fresh water creek. The ice was starting to add up fairly quick in the coves and slow moving areas. It was pretty trecherous if you weren't careful.

I made it out for about two hours after work last night in the same creek. A little more than half of the ice has broken up and melted. The pictures attached are from last night.

A word to the wise if you are heading out before the sunrise. It is pretty open but be cafeful because there were a couple of pretty good size chunks of ice floating along with the current. I can't speak for conditions all over but this is what I have been seeing in my neck of the woods.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Wallew
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting