Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Year Hunt

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  KJV 
#1 ·
Two of my boys wanted to get out and hunt, so after church we hit the river. Ducks are around but not moving much. A boat came by and kicked them up but none came close. With some vacation time to burn this week hoping the snow/wind/cold makes hunting better the rest of the week.

#6 ·
jerseywaterfowler said:
Went out this morning. Tide up, way up. Mangaged one hen broadbill , overlead on a blackie and had mallards swing by and keep on flying. Ducks around and moving but they for some reason prefer to fly/land in a flock far larger then my little 25 decoy spread.
Our problem as well on New Year's Day. Lots of birds flaring and not a lot of shots for the big numbers we were seeing in the skies. Wasn't hunting the coast, but inland.

#8 ·
jerseywaterfowler said:
I had no mallard dekes out, just a couple of gang lines with bills along with some singles just to try and break up the lines. Had 4 blacks set out on the side, the mallards swing toward them and then flared. I am guessing no mallard dekes no need to sit down.
We put out a little mix of everything, blacks, pins, mallards, widgeons, and a few honkers for good measure as the geese have been migrating well over here on the other coast. Think I had a little ice on a few decoys shining them away. Gonna head back out Sat if I can shake this head cold. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.