Take the kids

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Take the kids

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Took my son and his friend to raritan bay today, went out of keyport, couldnt find the fluke so we ended up chasing blues around the harbor, caught around 60, and they hit pretty much anything we threw at em, so if you want to take some youngsters, it's easy fishing and they will have a ball, most were in the 1-2 lb range, but the kids were using bass tackle, so it was a good fight.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:30 pm

You did that in your 14 footer or do you own a larger boat as well?
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:10 pm

Yup, in the 14', without all the deeks ,etc, it's a lot less loaded, it was 2 kids plus me, we had plenty of room, water was very calm also, that helps
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:20 pm

I just picked up a stone empty deep-vee 14 footer...no floor...3 benches. (My fishing 14 footer has floors and carpets and a brand new engine, so I didnt want to take it in the salt.) Still, I was worried about taking the other boat in bigger water. I think I might try it now though. Thanks
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:38 pm

14' is pretty good for up to 3 people, provided water isnt too rough, i usually go by wind speed in keyport, i can safely take up 15mph or so, probably a little more, but it's always smarter to have a little cushion, plus you know how fast it get get real bad, Starting with an empty boat is nice too, i did mine little by little as i tried things out, i am almost set up perfect, but it took a few years, somethings seem like a good idea, sitting here at work, but out on the water they dont always work out, but for me setting up the boat and trying things out, is just one more aspect of duck hunting i enjoy. anyway good luck with it, and if there is ever anything i can help you out with let me know, and lets see some pics when you get it ready
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting