PUDDLERS BEWARE

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

PUDDLERS BEWARE

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:29 am

Just cant wait any longer, so i got everything ready last weekend, all's i need now is the opening dateImage
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:58 pm

I didn't know you hunted goose too! I thought you were a die-hard ducker. Do you ever see geese on the bay?
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:58 pm

used to hunt them hard years ago, but it got too easy, had a really great spot, but now my son wants to get into them, plus i got a really great deal on those 18 floaters, traded a canvasback i carved to a friend for them, dont see many on the bay, and when i do they are usually high and moving fast, but i live on the delaware river, and there are quite a few on there, plus a res i live close to has a good population, but yes, i am a hard core ducker, specially divers, love huntin the big water
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:56 pm

Living on the Delaware? Now that's the life!
Could I ask what brand of paint you used on that boat? I'm getting ready to paint my new/old duck boat but haven't decided how. I have rust-o-leum aluminum primer but haven't used it yet. I'm sanded mostly down to bare metal now
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:05 pm

i used all cans of spray, krylon grey primer first, then the krylon camo paints, only took about 6 cans total, believe it or not, i keep a can around for touch up, but my boat takes quite a beating, delaware is really rocky by me, and the bay gives it quite a beating, and it has held up really well., next i want to do the inside deck with that roll on rhino liner, i just found a co on line that has it in outdoor colors, but it's 75 a gallon.
That rust 0leum primer should work well, the biggest thing is that it's clean, and give it a few coats of primer. I dont live right on the water, but about a 1/4 mile away, but it aint bad, about 25 min drive to my hunting spot for the north zone up at the gap. heading up next week to start scouting for sept goose
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:35 pm

You are ready crew, feeling the itch myself. You need to get your divers ready for December/January on the bay or twin rivers.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby stevez » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Well I ripped out the rotten wooden seats in my latest boat project and made new ones. The hull is primed with rust-o-oleum aluminum primer. Looks kinda nice all gray.
I'm going to paint the boat with 100% acrylic exterior paint....valspar duramax. I know it isn't meant for boats but it is supposed to last "a lifetime". I'll be happy with 2-3 seasons....even if I have to touch it up once in awhile.
About the only paint I found intended for duck-boats is Parkers but it's very expensive to ship to me.
I'll do the Krylon camo thing over the Valspar and see what happens. Should be fun.
Then I need to build ANOTHER blind for this boat....a whole new can of worms
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:00 am

jerseywaterfowler wrote:You are ready crew, feeling the itch myself. You need to get your divers ready for December/January on the bay or twin rivers.

Working on the divers as we speak, just about done with those, not that i dont like hunting puddlers, but divers are my passion, just something about those big waves and big water
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 am

Yes, I agree, the smell of salt,marsh,mud and the chance for a bluebill or Can all the while looking out for my Fav, a black duck. I am hoping for some cold and ICE this year.
Yea, that would be nice, we had one week of really cold last year up on the delaware, had to push the boat across 30' feet of ice to launch, getting it reloaded, well, i wont even say how that went, oh, what we wont do to duck hunt, i cant remember how many times i sat in myt boat in the bay last season with a camo t-shirt on and sweat dripping off my nose
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am

yeah im getting ready for the season... I just bought a motor for my boat, i need to grass it up w/ salt hay and then ill try to get pics up. Jersey, your from redbank? i live in woodstown used to live in West Deptford
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:46 am

Monmouth county Red Bank.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm

oh ok i thought you meant redbank, Gloucester County
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:46 pm

No problem unless you are working for the post office.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby turtles3sons » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Crewchief252
If ever ready to get rid of those canadians let me know.
Hunt on the other side of the bay from you and my kids love watching those big birds come into the decoys but don't have very many. too expensive for my wallet.
turtles3sons
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Yea, i know what you mean, 99.00 for four, thats crazy, i got lucky, a friend bought them but never uses them, so i carved him a decoy and traded for them. i think i got the better of that deal, got 20 of them for one hen can carving.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting