What happen Great Bay today

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

What happen Great Bay today

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Went with my sons down to Great bay WMA today. Surprisingly not many ducks around, at least not near us. I was concerned as at the end of the 7 Bridge Rd, was a pile of emergency vehicles police/fire/ambulance. I hope no one fell in and was fished out. Nasty windy day out on the bay, white caps.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: What happen Great Bay today

Postby Basspond » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Read on another forum three guys had to be pulled from the water by the state police after they sank their tender layout hunting.
Basspond
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Ducks 3 : Hunters 0

I can't imagine laying out in the inlet - its rough even when it's not windy.
papageno
hunter

Postby Basspond » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Jon boats and big water usually don't mix well. Sounds like they got real lucky and were able to cling onto the layout boat.
Basspond
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:04 am

Duck hunters rescued from sinking boat in south NJ

LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. — Three duck hunters from Pennsylvania had to be rescued when their 18-foot boat started taking on water off the southern New Jersey coast.

State police tell the Asbury Park Press that authorities were notified about the incident in the Little Egg Harbor inlet around 9:50 a.m. Saturday. They were told the hunters had moved from their boat into a smaller boat, but the second boat soon began taking on water as well.

Officers with the state police's marine services bureau responded and found the men — Timothy Moffett of Barto, Jeremy Moffett of Bechtelsville and Ryan Watts of Hershey — and their chocolate Labrador dog floating on debris from their boat.

All three men and the dog were soon brought back to shore, and no injuries were reported.

Damn PA guys, don't know what they're doing! :biggrin:
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 am

It got snotty out there for sure. We passed them just as state police was picking them up. No idea they were swamped as we were out past them on opp side of inlet . They were on side taken a pounding from wind n tide. Saw them later at ramp n they were all fine. Lab was happy wanting to maybe jump in my truck!but their boat was still out there under water. Just had layout in back of truck!!
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Diver-Down » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

Any idea on how they got help ? cell phone, vhf radio ?
USCG Capt. Steve Lessel
Diver-Down
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:45 am

Glad they are alive to talk about it.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Not sure. We saw few boats spread throughout inlet most of morn but never saw any flares nor were they waiving at us cause I guess staties were coming in same time? Big police boat. All the emergency vehicles at the ramp n coming down 7 bridges we could see from mouth of creek was crazy too!
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby WHDUCKMAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 am

Stupidity is what happened out there, very lucky the way the wind and tide were blowing through there they had no business being out there it what I am guessing was a jon boat. Plus they had a big clunky homemade layout boat. There are times when things happens and it cannot be avoided but seems like more times then not things like this can be avoided by just using some common sense. This could have easily gone the other way and we would be reading this story about drowned duck hunters. They learned a valuable lesson today, luckily not at the expense of someones life.
WHDUCKMAN
hunter

Postby duk_hunter155 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:53 am

We were out at the end of Cedar Dock Road by Tips when the wind shifted to the South it was really bad out there I could see how the waves crashed over the bow and sunk em. To top it all off the broadies never even looked at our spread after flying by it a hundred times. Glad they lived through it. If the temps were like the week before could have been a different story.
duk_hunter155
hunter

Postby BillCollector » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:31 am

We passed these guys at 9:15 on our way back in they were just heading out and there were 3 ft. swells and breaking waves and wind against the tide just made it worse when you rounded the fish factory to the bay, not a very good decision to keep going but I guess a duck is more important than their lives. Little Egg inlet is not a place for anyone in these weather conditions and if you do not know how to read the winds and tides do not go simple as that. Also we had a guy in the 12 ft. Sneakbox with his kid that was setting up 150 yrds. from us so I went over and told him that he was way to close to us and also setting up on very shallow water plus the conditions are going to get worse and he left the area. 10 minutes later that area had 4-5 ft. beakers crashing on the shoal. But the moral of this is you can not fix stupid. Good luck to all and be safe.
BillCollector
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I just remember flounder fishing there in a stiff breeze and my Carolina Skiff rockin-and-rollin…. but shorts and a tee shirt in the 70's made it fun…. not so much 'round this time of year…. I really don't get it - Tuckerton Cove is perfect for a nice safe layout.
papageno
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:27 am

Those are my home waters and I certainly would not have been where they were, under those conditions, but that is the problem with being in unfamiliar territory, which I assume was the case if they were from Pennsy. And the farther you've driven the less likely you may be to turn back if the conditions are less than good. But that is also what weather forecasts are for. As I get older and hopefully wiser I cancel the night before all the time. Hope the lesson was learned.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby DucksnDiesel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 am

Not for nothing, but I saw their arrogant selfies while on the coast guard boat on Facebook. They were also bragging about how they still were able to kill ducks despite of the whole debacle. I doubt they learned a damn thing. They were also talking about going back the next day to recover the boat, mind you the wind was forecasted to be heavier the next day.
DucksnDiesel
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:12 am

Well, if they go out again, I hope nothing happens to the dog :rolleyes: .
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Recover the boat, that is a funny one. I stopped at my moms house on LBI after hunting to check on the house. The waves were crashing over the bulkhead at the end of street, and that was at a lower end of tide. That boat is probably not going to be found anytime soon washed up on the back side of Holgate. I am glad they are alive.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting