Aquapod opinions

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Aquapod opinions

Postby Wallew » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Does anyone here have first hand experience using an aquapod?

I am considering picking one up when I get my tax return this year.

They have a 10ft sport model. It is $700. It only weighs 62 pounds. From what I can see they seem to be very stable and can make a great layout boat.

I do 90% of my hunting over water. I use my 16ft boat about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I use a 12ft canoe to get to skinny water areas I could never get to in my boat. Anyone who has used a canoe in skinny water where you can run into submerged things like stumps or large tree limbs know it can get real sketchy real fast.

I have found a few opinions online but I would like to hear from someone who has either used an aquapod or seen one in use.
Wallew
hunter

Re: Aquapod opinions

Postby G3_ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I love mine. Worth their weight in gold. Very stable, tracks well, easy to paddle, hides like a dream and very versatile.
G3_
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:05 am

I have two of the 8' models. They are great little boats, but dont let anyone tell you they paddle great. Compared to a proper kayak they absolutely blow monkey balls when paddling any sort of distance. Additionally, they are a real ball buster to drag up a squito ditch because of the width, I've tipped the thing on its side and wrestled it back to the truck on many occasions.

Now, all that being said, I can tell you it is entirelly possible to hang your rear over the side and take a dump...they are that stable. I stand up and paddle when I want to look across the marsh, and have packed two guys into an eight footer for jump shooting. I use a beach chair that has a little roof on it and a piece of fast grass over that as a hide. My so called friends have riduculed me about how funny the set up is, but I stay dry in the rain and have had black ducks stool in a close as one can imagine. Some of these guys have even hunted the same set up. Plenty of great memories in those little boats. Good luck.
FFT
hunter

Postby Wallew » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I also posted this in the general boat forum and have been getting feedback there also.

I won't be paddling more than a half mile in each direction for the spots I hunt. So as long as they paddle pretty decent I should be good.

How do they handle on windy days? One main reason I am looking into the aquapods is because they are low profile. Like I said in my first post is that I am tired of paddling a canoe in the wind. Trying to paddle into the wind by yourself can be a real nightmare. You feel like you spend most of your energy just trying to stay on course.

A person on the main forum suggested the creekboat M98. It is very similar to an aquapod but about $200 less.
Wallew
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Papageno has a creekboat...actually i think he has two now because one is at my house :yes: They are nice little boats. The aquapod is heavier duty and lower profile but the creek boat is still very nice...plus its a good bit cheaper. Creek boats also have a transom so you can run a trolling motor.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 pm

I like the Creekboat a lot - for what I do it's perfect. However, would not be a good layout boat in open water, as you wanted. It is very light and maneuverable and shallow draft and narrow to get up ditches. At 40lbs, it drags across the marsh and can be used a s a pond box with three pieces of grass mat. You can pole it through almost anything, and get it up into the mud where you can layout in it. It is a strictly flat water, slow current boat.
mallards5.jpg

I wanted to post abetter pic, but having some technical difficulties.
papageno
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:52 am

That creekboat will catch the wind same as a canoe. The aquapod will not, but they dont track extreamly well so there is a tradeoff somewhere. A half mile will not be too bad, not gonna be a race either. You are more than welcome to come to point pleasant, throw one over the bulkhead here and have at it. A test drive, so to speak.

**Also, aquapod will paddle into inches of water, and drag through a few centimeters. They are great for that aspect.
FFT
hunter

Postby Wallew » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:56 am

Papageno thanks for the offer of a test drive. I might take you up on the offer when the weather breaks.

I have to say the creekboat really has caught my interest. The fact that I can save money compared to the aquapod and it has a transom for a motor. I am now considering the creekboat and with the money I save maybe setting it up with a DIY weed wacker mud motor. It could be a great one man setup. Plus no or minimal paddling required.

I always seem to get myself in trouble with the wife around tax return time.
Wallew
hunter

Postby G3_ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:40 pm

The ten and twelve footers paddle much better than the 8 footers. The 8 footers are like paddling a flying saucer. The longer the boat the easier to paddle it will be. Creek boats are much lighter and cheaper and if you plan to paddle in then get out and hide in the weeds they are the way to go. On the other hand if you plan to paddle in then use your boat as a layout boat/blind the aqua pod can't be beat. Really depends on what you are looking to do with it
G3_
hunter

Postby G3_ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:50 pm

G3_
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

If you build a rickshaw, please post a build thread here. That would be a great one to follow. I considered building on for an aqua pod.
FFT
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting