If you were to choose two duck calls, with budget in mind...

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

If you were to choose two duck calls, with budget in mind...

Postby PeterGood » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Unfortunatly the amount of hunting I can do is limited by work, budget, kids, etc. Used to go with my Dad to Stuttgart years ago, and since mainly keep myself happy practicing in the car with an RNT Hunter I bought directly from Butch, which is a mid-level volume call. If I were to be able to get out in NJ area more, what would be a good complementary call to add to the collection? RNT Hunter Timber? Quackhead Timber? Or am I better off with a louder, rather than a quieter call for the NJ area? Appreciate your advice. Would love to have unlimited budget, but need to stick to under around $50 or so. Thanks.
PeterGood
hunter

Re: If you were to choose two duck calls, with budget in min

Postby papageno » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Go to the store and get the loudest one you can find. Practice in your truck all summer long and blow it as loudly and constantly as you can while hunting. You will shoot lots of ducks. :thumbsup:
papageno
hunter

Postby Basspond » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Honestly in most areas of the state, especially on the coastal side, ducks aren't as receptive to calling as all the TV shows might make you think. Less is more and as much as it pains me to say it, a duck commander mallard drake call or similar is often all you need. I run two calls, a mallard drake and a RNT short barrel.
Basspond
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 pm

I'll try to be a bit more helpful....
East Coast hunting is all about being where the birds want to be (exactly on the X) and NOT scaring them away. In an endless agricultural prairie with flocks of thousands of mallards, high-end calls may be a good way to go… Around here, you shouldn't have to call much at all - you just want to give them some confidence to get them in close. You will not sway them from their destination.
All the kids bought loud expensive calls this year and blow them constantly - by mid season (actually about ten minutes past lst on opening day) the birds recognize them and steer clear. i've used the same old Mallard Tone single reed for the past 20 years. it is soft, subtle and low pitched. i can't stand the way it sounds, but the ducks respond well to it. the greating call and a little chuckling is all you ned to know.
papageno
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm

papageno wrote:I'll try to be a bit more helpful....
East Coast hunting is all about being where the birds want to be (exactly on the X) and NOT scaring them away. In an endless agricultural prairie with flocks of thousands of mallards, high-end calls may be a good way to go… Around here, you shouldn't have to call much at all - you just want to give them some confidence to get them in close. You will not sway them from their destination.
All the kids bought loud expensive calls this year and blow them constantly - by mid season (actually about ten minutes past lst on opening day) the birds recognize them and steer clear. i've used the same old Mallard Tone single reed for the past 20 years. it is soft, subtle and low pitched. i can't stand the way it sounds, but the ducks respond well to it. the greating call and a little chuckling is all you ned to know.

Geno is right... same thing for our birds on Lake Champlain here in Vermont. I've killed more mallards with a single quack than blowing the hail mary... Very rarely, we'll get birds calling hard... and that's typically once or twice a season in foul / low visibility weather.

If you were blowing at 500-1000 mallards swarming by, I might have a different opinion. But for the flocks we generally see... anywhere from 6 - 30 birds at a time... less is better.
RangerX
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 am

Haydel DR-85
Less then $20
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:55 am

Huntfish12 wrote:Haydel DR-85
Less then $20

This! Jarbo sounds great on his DR85
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Batsto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:41 pm

I use a 10 yr old lohmans calL. Single reed. I think it was 15 bucks. It works fine. Quack quack bang! I am not a very good caller so I just keep simple. It has a great feeding sound and a basic quack. I really believe less is more....many over call.
Batsto
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:25 pm

I have only reached out and wailed on the call twice all season here in nj....both times was at a mass of birds that got up from an off limits area...rest of the time I keep it simple. Most of the time I am just trying to not scare birds away. Don't worry about buying more calls. Work with what ya got and focus on location. If you are bent on buying a call I'd go with a quieter raspy call if you already have a higher vol call.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Batsto - sounds like you are a good caller - the ducks like it.

I've always found it amusing that duck calling competitions are judged by humans. I think they should have some mallards with brain probes and a quack-o-meter over their cage judge the calling.
papageno
hunter

Postby ShooterNJ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:32 pm

LMFAO :lol: well put!
ShooterNJ
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm glad that was appreciated.

I made a similar point on the NH chat on a similar thread. I disagreed with a couple of folks saying that the questioner should 'go to the store and find a call that sounds good to him and fits his calling style' (like it's musical instrument), and another who suggested practicing all summer in your truck on the way to work (to become a virtuoso, I guess). I suggested finding one that the ducks come in to when it goes quack. They were so offended by my comments that they started hurling personal insults. Sad.

If you want to add a second call, I suggest a Faulk's wood duck call. It's hard to learn, but is the only woodie call I know that can make the long gentle 'wee-e-e-ep' of an at-ease woodie. You don't need it often, but it can bring them in on occasion.
papageno
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 am

I have mixed emotions on this. There's some days I'll work a group to their death and there's day's where you just need to shut up. Any echo poly timber double reed should be sufficient for your needs
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting