Sea Duck hunting Question

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 am

I am trying to book a Sea Duck hunt in the North East for the up coming season. My problem is I think Im going to be coming alone, or myself and 1 other hunter. I am interested in hunting 2-3 days, preferably 3. From what I am seeing on the rate schedules the boats are being rented for x amount / day and understandably so. If I came alone or with 1 other person that wouldn't be logical for us. My question is will some guides join 2 small groups to hunt together or would it be a waste of their time? I am primarily interested in Old Squaw, but some scooters, Brant and possibly Eiders would be great too.. Buffleheads wouldn't hurt our feelings either. If you know of any that would work with someone in that way please let me know.

Thanks!

Jimmy
jstewart_1981
hunter

Re: Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby G3_ » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Most guides do a $250 for one or $175 per gun for groups of 2 or more. Look on the NJDFW website. They used to have a list of guides. Not sure if they still do or not
G3_
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Honestly, if you get a decent guide and good weather, one day will be enough to fill the bag, get something for the wall, and burn a box of shells. Call a few guys and talk it over with them. I would start there.
FFT
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:26 pm

If and when you need another guy to go along and lower the per person cost (Pit Boss for example has a flat rate and is worth every penny) contact me. I like to go out early and often.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 am

:grooving:
cedar creek sam wrote:If and when you need another guy to go along and lower the per person cost (Pit Boss for example has a flat rate and is worth every penny) contact me. I like to go out early and often.

X2 with Jeff, he's a good friend of mine he will show excellent hospitality and put you on the birds! Ask for the crab chowder on the boat too
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:37 pm

By the way, if you want eiders, Mass. or RI are the places to go; Cape Cod is particularly nice in the later season. Maine eider populations have been very disappointing in the mid coast area for a couple of years but there are scoters there in the big open water.

Plenty of brant and buffs in Barnegat Bay, but the OS don't come down in numbers until later (though given the crazy brant season only reopening on Dec. 20 the OS will be here then too).

Scoters with PitBoss are pretty much a sure thing and there are a couple of guides in NJ as well.

If you can make it to the Tuckerton Decoy show in late September you'll find the guides, the boats and the decoys all in one place.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting