Wood duck calls

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Wood duck calls

Postby Batsto » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I was cleaning my equipment the other day and I cannot find my woodie call, which was over 15 yrs old and chewed up by our pup. Which one should I order/purchase?
Batsto
hunter

Re: Wood duck calls

Postby papageno » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Only one answer to this question that I know of.

I have used a Faulks wood duck call for the past 33 years. It is the only call I know that reproduces the soft wee-ee-e-e-ep of the relaxed but active bird. The others I have heard sound like a woodie, but only reproduce their panic call - and why would you want to do that? It is a bit hard to learn, but worth doing.

Many years I don't use it, but this year I called in a flight of three that buzzed our mallard spread and kept going - they turned right around and pitched into us when I blew it. I also called in a very wary late season drake quietly circling our mallard spread on a large beaver pond. Neither time did we have any woodduck decoys out.

It is only available by calling Faulks directly.
papageno
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 am

Never seen them respond directly to a call. They seem to come to decoys pretty easily.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby Batsto » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:31 am

After set up, I use a woodie call 4 times and wait for the first flurry of action. If we are lucky and dogs make retrieves, we call 4 more times and that's it. Seems to work with or without decoys. Our spot is more a pass shooting area. I also throw I a couple of light easy quacks/feeding call. Early fall duck hunting is really fun.
Batsto
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting