Youth Day Southern Zone

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Youth Day Southern Zone

Postby waterdogscbr » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Taking my son out for youth day this Saturday. We usually go out to the Mullica River near Batsto. We were considering trying the South River off of the Tuckahoe near Estell Manor Atlantic County. Does anyone have any pointers for this area. Thanks
waterdogscbr
hunter

Re: Youth Day Southern Zone

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:49 pm

waterdogscbr wrote:Taking my son out for youth day this Saturday. We usually go out to the Mullica River near Batsto. We were considering trying the South River off of the Tuckahoe near Estell Manor Atlantic County. Does anyone have any pointers for this area. Thanks

Waterdog, hope you and your son have a better day than we did in the north last week, fog was so thick, we could hear ducks quacking all around us, but couldnt see a thing, but any time spent with the boys out there is a good day, good luck
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterdogscbr » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 pm

Sorry about your fog situation. Your are so right about spending time. My son and I have spent the last couple of weekends scouting on the rivers and we grassed out the boat this week. Very memorable start to the duck season. Good luck with your opening day.
waterdogscbr
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:56 pm

one thing we started doing, is every season, i let each boy ( we hunt with a guy who has 2 sons hunting also) pick a duck and i carve a simple gunner for them, and we get together one night, get some pizza's and let the boys paint the deeks, really makes them feel like part of the hunt, and is turning into a season starting tradition. Duck hunting has always been a big thrill for me, but know with the young-uns, it's almost like starting all over, i love it, good luck
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:29 am

waterdogscbr where on the Mulica you putting in? At the lake? If so head upstream and poke around untill you see a few greenheads. I like to then pull in and put out some dekes and see if any more will come. Also enjoy paddling upstream in the canoe, with gun at the ready and seeing if I can hear them before the see or hear me. Then gently sneak up on them. You can do it with two people as long as the rear paddler cases his gun and only paddles. Good luck I enjoy the pine barrons.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby waterdogscbr » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Jerseywaterfowler - Do you find more ducks upstream more towards the wooded area this time of year.
waterdogscbr
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:11 am

I dono if the wooded area is any better then the lake area. I enjoy getting set up in the marsh/mud area to the left of the main channel. I will stay there for a while if I see ducks moving in hopes they come to me. If by 9am nothing has happen I end up paddeling up stream and poking my canoe into all the little side streams, swamp area's etc. and seeing what, if anything is going on. If I see ducks I will see if I can sneak/jump them by canoe or on foot. If I can't I will set up some dekes, set up for shooting and have a cup of coffee and hope for some action. I usually go during the week to avoid the madness of a Saturday.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby njplotts » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:41 pm

jump shooting on the way UP stream must be tough.
njplotts
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:56 pm

Not all that much. There is a decent current but not any thing that can not be paddled against. You usually can hear them before you see them. I have found that most often they are in the oxbows facing up stream and if one gently paddles and can manage to stay out of sight you have a chance. Paddling on ones knees and staying low keeps shooting safe. As in all things in dealing with wild creatures they sometimes forget to read the script.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting