Mannington Meadows

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Mannington Meadows

Postby HowIdo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Hey guys i live in Delaware and had the opportunity to lease a blind in NJ in a place called Mannington Meadows. Has anyone ever heard of this place and if it is any good for ducks/geese?

I have been there twice fixing up the blind and getting ready for nexy weekend and it looks promising.......any input would be helpful.

Thanks
HowIdo
hunter

Postby hyperduck » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:29 am

HowIdo,
I've been hunting in and around Mannington Meadows for several years now. It can be a pretty productive. It's not bad for teal in the early season. My buddy and I were out near there the last day of the resident goose season and must of seen about 300-400 teal. You'll get your fair share of blacks and mallards during the late season. One note of caution though. Watch the tides. Don't know how far into the meadow your blind is, but the tide differential can be very extreme. You don't want to find yourself high and dry.
hyperduck
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:02 pm

Hey, i live 10 minutes from Mannington Meadows and have been out there a couple times to watch the ducks there are a lot of teal, and i saw a couple black ducks. Where is your lease at? cayse i know a guy that has a lease, i think his last name is perna or something like that. Is that you?
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm

No thats not me. You would take E Pittsfield road all the way to the boat ramp and then it is really close to the ramp, Probably only a 3 min boat ride.

I have been out there and have seen thousands of mallards but i think there is a hunting lodge called M & M and they must raise them. Im not sure though. Im from DE and i didnt even know there was an early season for teal, or at least i couldnt find it on the website.

Im looking foward to heading out this saturday for opening day, hopefully we will do good!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby hyperduck » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:51 pm

You've most likely seen wild birds. Probably blacks and mallards. Don't think they have come from M&M. They use pen birds that are released the day of the "canned" hunt. Good luck Sat.
hyperduck
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Yeah, good luck on opening day. And there isn't an early teal season.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

Postby Fin-Nagle » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:47 am

HowIdo,

I will be at the ramp on Saturday early in the morning. I have a new black Tundra pickup. Introduce yourself. I have been hunting there for over 40 years.
Fin-Nagle
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Fin-Nagle,
I would have def introduced myself but we were the first ones there because we have never hunted there before and didnt know what to expect. We drive a Black Ford Explorer sport trac with a War Eagle boat.

We managed to miss a ton of birds in the morning. There were a ton flying for the first hour or two but as soon as the weather broke it slowed. We managed one black duck and one drake mallard, couldnt get many to commit.

I went out to fix up the blind today because i thought that may have been the reason the birds were flaring but the tide was so low there was no way were making it to the blind. Im glad i figured out the tides get that low so now i can start watching the tides times. I think my brother and I are going to go out Wed afternoon and see what happens. How are the afternoons/evenings there?
HowIdo
hunter

Postby Fin-Nagle » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:35 pm

We went today and only got two ducks. We managed only 10 on Saturday. We usually get about 20. Until this heat gets out of here, I don't think the hunting will be very good. Afternoons are hit or miss. I think the weather is more important. Just remember about the tides when hunting toward dark. I have spent a few evenings out there waiting for the water to come up. My name is Al. I will look for your rig.
Fin-Nagle
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting