well how did everybody do today?!

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

well how did everybody do today?!

Postby waterfowl10 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:45 pm

whats the update?
waterfowl10
hunter

Postby njplotts » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm

crappiest opener in 38yrs
2 woodies
njplotts
hunter

Postby waterfowl10 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:29 pm

wow really? too many guys? no birds?
waterfowl10
hunter

Postby njplotts » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Ducks weren't flying. Woodies & teals didn't see a greenhead. My buddy called at 8:30am while picking up dekes. they had a 3 man limit of greenheads & woodies. he said it was the best opener he ever had.
LOL you know I'll be there MondayAM
njplotts
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:04 am

Hit Spruce run in the a.m. with my son, saw 4 birds at high altitude, didnt fire a shot, then went to the gap in the p.m., had some decent water levels finally, set up in our usual spot, and saw woodies passing a 100 yrds away, moved and eneded up getting one quick shot, missed, try again this week, at least it wasnt 80 out there, still a good day spent with my boy in the outdoors.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njplotts » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:40 am

I agree the weather was great! I'll be out tomorrow again. Overall I don't there was to many people this year. Any other than you out on the res?
njplotts
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:01 am

njplotts wrote:I agree the weather was great! I'll be out tomorrow again. Overall I don't there was to many people this year. Any other than you out on the res?

yea, 2 other groups, heard 3 shots from over by the creek, but that was it, other group was over by the island, i know those guy.s and they said they saw 1 bird up hi and that was it
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harbinger_j » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 am

I got 2 woodies and I thought I had a great day. :thumbsup:
But this was my first time hunting ever.
My friend got a woodie, a mallard, and a green wing teal.
It was a great experience, and I learned a lot.
harbinger_j
hunter

Postby foldem » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 am

did good sat we got a 3 man limit of woodies saw about 50 ducks but most were out of range went out yesterday after work in ny to my private peace shot my limit in 1hr 2 woodies 1 teal and 3 mallards saw alot of big flocks of malladrs w/ 50 in a flock up high They are on there way !!
foldem
hunter

Postby njplotts » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:55 am

Today Tue. 4 mallards ( 3 GH & hen), 1 black.
njplotts
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Nothing in the bag.

All were high flyers - primarily Black Ducks. Except for the handful of low flyers at 5 minutes to shooting time. Unfortunately, they were pushed past our set-up location by a late comer. - Can't say I was too bothered by that; it happens and I've done it at least once myself (first season). But, I think it was the non-stop quacking and hail-calling for the majority of two hours straight that frustrated me.

I've never heard the real ducks carry on for that long. I guess I seem to think that calling continually would prevent anything that was bed down in the vicinity overnight from venturing over. On the other hand I suspect it may catch the attention of the passerby.

I don't know much about calling or calling behavior nor do I have twenty/thirty/forty years of duck hunting under me belt to speak as an authority. I just know that I hunted the same area many times last season and never heard the real ducks making so much noise.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby green-hntr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:24 am

Ended up with a woodie opening day, then hit a spot that night and killed a 3 man limit of woodies. Hunted Monday am and my buddy shot a hen mallard which was retrieved by my pup (her first duck retrieve), shot one woodie last night, hit it this am and shot another woodie.

Thats about it. Have seen a few high flyers but not much. Have been seeing a rpetty decent push of high flyin geese though.
green-hntr
hunter

Postby foldem » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Went out this morning man were they flying none stop action till 10:00 am but most would land on other sid of swamp did manage to get 2 woodies and 1 black still can't believe we are seeing this many blacks this early always thought of them as a late bird to arrive.
foldem
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting