Lebanon NJ Ducks/Geese

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Lebanon NJ Ducks/Geese

Postby HowIdo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Ok guys I need some help. I am looking to take my girlfriends 12 year old brother out hunting one weekend but I live in DE and go to her house every other weekend.

Her family lives right next to Round Valley Resevoir and i was wondering if there are any good state lands that are decent for duck or goose hunting?

Also, I have a boat but would rather try and find a blind/pit we can walk to instead of having to drive with my boat an hour and a half!

If anyone could help or if anyone is in need of some hunting buddies i have plenty of duck or goose decoys and shells are on me!! This will be his first time ever hunting and he is taking his hunter safety course Nov 18th and has been studying like crazy.

Thanks for any help guys!!
HowIdo
hunter

Re: Lebanon NJ Ducks/Geese

Postby stevez » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:57 pm

HowIdo wrote:Ok guys I need some help. I am looking to take my girlfriends 12 year old brother out hunting one weekend but I live in DE and go to her house every other weekend.

Her family lives right next to Round Valley Resevoir and i was wondering if there are any good state lands that are decent for duck or goose hunting?

Also, I have a boat but would rather try and find a blind/pit we can walk to instead of having to drive with my boat an hour and a half!

If anyone could help or if anyone is in need of some hunting buddies i have plenty of duck or goose decoys and shells are on me!! This will be his first time ever hunting and he is taking his hunter safety course Nov 18th and has been studying like crazy.

Thanks for any help guys!!

Is the youth hunter getting a NJ hunting license and, more importantly, do you have a NJ hunting license? A youth hunter in NJ must be in the company of a licensed adult hunter at all times.

All those things aside, I would offer that perhaps you should take the youngster squirrel hunting for his first time out. It would be somewhat easier to monitor his gun safety skills until you are sure he knows what he is doing and ready to hunt in a dark blind. The hunter education test is only the beginning.
stevez
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:47 pm

I have both a Delaware and New Jersey hunting license, I hunt ducks/geese in South Jersey. I am going to try to get him to come down there for a couple hunts but its pretty far.

I have taken him to the shooting range many times and he is very familiar with a shotgun......His grandfather also owns land 15 minutes from his house and he came with me squirrel hunting there and just followed me and i explained everything to him (gun saftey etc.)

Pluse he is a very bright kid who listens very well. Thank you for the advice though i appreciate it!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby njplotts » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:00 pm

You can hunt ducksgeese on round valley in certain areas on the water only. here in north zone you'll only find pits/blinds on private propreties. it's illegal to build blinds on Round valley, spruce run & all the WMA's that have ducks. Goose hunting in fields on WMA's is tough most all fields are overgrow
njplotts
hunter

Postby iraevski » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:38 am

so how do you know which parts of Round Valley you can actually hunt from the water? do they have the areas posted on a mao in the ranger office there?

IR
iraevski
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 pm

Man thats not looking very good. I guess we have it really good here in Delaware! I guess i will be bringing my boat up there and trying to go to either one of those Resevoirs.

I have been fishing on Round Valley with him but cant imagine where you would duck hunt there. Guess i will have to go to some of the state parks offices and find out.

Thanks for the help Njplotts!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby caglatz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:54 pm

Hey HowdoI,

I live relatively close (20 mins) to Round Valley and my brother-in-law lives across Rt 31 from there in Lebanon. My understanding is that in Round Valley you can hunt from boats only -- and that there are certain areas. Not too far from there is Spruce Run Reservoir & Clinton WMA (out on Rt. 78 towards PA) - I'm not sure about blinds there.

Myself, I hunt south central NJ, even though these places are closer.

Regards,
Chris
caglatz
hunter

Postby njplotts » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:15 pm

caglatz wrote:Hey HowdoI,

I live relatively close (20 mins) to Round Valley and my brother-in-law lives across Rt 31 from there in Lebanon. My understanding is that in Round Valley you can hunt from boats only -- and that there are certain areas. Not too far from there is Spruce Run Reservoir & Clinton WMA (out on Rt. 78 towards PA) - I'm not sure about blinds there.

Myself, I hunt south central NJ, even though these places are closer.

Regards,
Chris

Right only boat hunting (below the waterline) at both places. Pick up the map at the "Park office". Areas around the dams & water Office etc are 450' from shoreline, But they are easy rules if you know what's off limits. The very back of Spruce run is WMA but permanent blinds allowed. Spruce run water level is down atleast 25'. Launching a boat is tough.
They been dropping the water level almost every year now once they close the park beach.
njplotts
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting