Brant are almost Gone

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Brant are almost Gone

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

As each week goes by the brant flocks, sparce as they have been are thinning out daily. Today I saw a lone Brant standing in the middle of a school field, looking very alone and confused. Makes you wonder what the urges nature draws upon them to up and fly thousands of miles just to mate, raise a family then fly back 6 months later. :huh: Their bigger cousins, those wary old Canadians have overcome that urge and now save lots of energy by sticking around and eating golf course grass. :fingerhead:

Hopefully I'll spend some time on the bay Sunday weather permitting, doing a little fishing and sightseeing. Going to miss those beautiful creatures, those Atlantic Brant. Hopefully they'll be back next fall
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Brant are almost Gone

Postby bayside » Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am

Made my first trip with a rod & reel coupla days ago. On the road to NWW to get bait, saw lotsa brant. Started a debate with my buddy. He claimed they are around all summer. I had heard(read) that all eventually move north. Anyone know the true story?
bayside
hunter

Re: Brant are almost Gone

Postby pvn6616 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:46 am

Years gone by, all the waterfowl were migratory, meaning they all flew north to breed and south to winter. Times have changed and now some Canadian Geese have learned that there really is no need to travel and have become non=migratory, residential geese. It appears the same may be true for some brant, as some do stay in the local waters during the summer. So to answer your question, yes, some probably do stick around, but not in very high numbers. In my experience living next to them for over 30 yrs they are mostly gone by May 15th and arrive as early as Sept 15th. Its a long three months without them.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting