Who Makes the Best Ammunition for the Money?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

What Brand / Type of Non-Toxic Ammunition Do You Use Most Often?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Remington Wingmaster HD
No votes
Remington Nitro-Steel or Hi-Speed Steel
17%
Federal Black Cloud
11%
Federal Black Ultra-Shok
No votes
Winchester Supreme Elite HD
No votes
Winchester Supreme Waterfowl
No votes
Winchester Super-X or Xpert
17%
Kent Fasteel or Impact
33%
Hevi-Shot or Hevi-Steel
22%
See my post for other ammunition choice
No votes

Total votes : 18

Who Makes the Best Ammunition for the Money?

Postby stevez » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Last week I couldn't get my old standby Remington ammo, so I ordered something from a different manufacturer. I got to thinking about my new ammo and wondering how many folks out there end up primarily using one brand or type of shot and stick with it.

I thought I might try a poll here sort of like the "ask the audience" lifeline on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. The audience ALWAYS seems to know the correct answer!

If you use two brands equally feel free to vote twice
stevez
hunter

Postby MBarlow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 am

Kent Faststeel is # 1; Winchester is #2
MBarlow
hunter

Postby johnboy07 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:14 pm

I have heard nothing but good things about Kent I am actually going to ****'s tonight to buy a case of it.
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 pm

I've never actually shot any kind of Winchester Ammo for duck/goose hunting. Kent is by far #1, especially when your talking about the money! Just about all of their loads are going 1550 fps. and they are cheap too!

Excellent Deal!
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Kent Fast Steel

Postby Marshmudd » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 pm

About 5 or 6 years ago, my Nephew was telling me about these steel shells that were really cheap (I think :no: around 5 or 6 bucks a box). We were hunting PA's opening day in some flooded timber. He hadn't even fired a third round when the shell jammed in his gun. He got it out, within the next 5 shots same thing. Thinking the gun might be dirty I gave him a box of Federal's I had. He didn't have any issues with them in his gun. Shot the whole box. I wondered if it was the shells.

2 years later on NJ's opening with a different nephew (diffent Family). Again bragging about the price. I relayed the above story to him. He fired his first shot, guess what, the gun jammed. He got it out, the next shot same thing. I handed him a box of my shells. They worked with no problem. Needless to say, I've pretty much stayed away from Kent Fast steel. I think the saying goes something like, "The sweet taste of a bargain fades long before the bitterness of poor quality remains".
Here's hoping for a lite rain every hunt!
Marshmudd
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Federal Blackcloud has been woking really good for me. My second is Kent Fasteel
TommyW
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting