Sat. Afternoon

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Sat. Afternoon

Postby johnboy07 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:28 am

Headed out by Nuclear plant saturday afternoon. Hopefully it is better than last week. I am gonna try using kent shells this week since last week the ducks looked at me as if I was dumb when I shot them and keep on going. Wishing everyone good luck.
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby stevez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Good luck! Try Winchester Supreme if the Kents let you down. I have been using them recently and am absolutely satisfied
stevez
hunter

Postby flocknockerpa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:27 am

I always use kent fast steel, I bought them cuz they where the cheapest and wanted to try them out. I have had nothing but good luck with these shells and will continue to use them. I use use them for goose and duck hunting........ :thumbsup:
flocknockerpa
hunter

Whats up man!

Postby Hip » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Saw you at Salem Boat Exchange today. Good Luck!
Hip
hunter

Postby johnboy07 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:12 pm

O yeah Good luck to you too if you go out.
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby rayrconj » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:09 pm

I shoot Kent and love them, never had a bad one. I also watch people shoot everything under the sun with us and the Kents never get complained about. The Winchester Supreme are really good but not sure if they are worth the extra $. Just avoid Xperts and Rem Sportsman.
rayrconj
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:58 pm

thats all i use is the xpert HV and i LOVE them. i have never had a dud. Also if they get a little wet they still shoot fine
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

I sincerely hope I dont affect your confidence...

Postby rayrconj » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 pm

...which is half the battle, right?
I never saw one misfire either. I have two issues with them.
1) If you shoot cross or into the wind close your eyes because theres all kinds of stuff coming out.
2) We lay-out a lot and saw people have really sparse patterns on the water so I cut one open and the found the cause. The pellets have divots and there were even a couple snowmen in the mix. Cant see that helping the pattern.
All that said - go with what works for you and ignore me if you like them. The pellets just freaked me out and it also explains why they are cheaper - cheaper forging of the steel.
rayrconj
hunter

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Winchester Supreme runs about 18 bucks a box where I buy them. That doesn't seem too high to me. They pattern very well with an improved cylinder and are sealed against moisture. I have also found them to have excellent range and consistent quality.

I have heard intermittent stories about Kent's mis-firing so I never tried them. There has been a lot of folks using that new black cloud shell. I might give those a try one day.
stevez
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting