Confirmation / Sea Duck Hunters really are Insane

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Postby stevez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 pm

While it's common knowledge that ALL duck hunters have some sort of mental disability, I have discovered this morning that even among duck hunters there are degrees of insanity. As it is, the sea duck hunter is in an insanity class all his own.

I was very kindly invited by crewchief to accompany him on a typical hunt in the open bay for ducks. How could I resist the opportunity to harvest ducks that you just don't see anywhere else? I met him at the ramp at 6am and that is where my puddle duck world ended and his began.

I would like to say that I knew what he was staring at in the distance as I huddled seasick in the bottom of the boat, but it all looked the same to me. Huge open cold rough unforgiving water in all directions. Thankfully crew really did know what he was looking for and somehow eventually located our rig in the middle of the fastest, meanest toughest ducks this side of Hades. He was ever patient as I pointed at tiny blurry bodies and asked "what's that?" about 30 times. He was forgiving when I couldn't hook a bobbing decoy with a 3 foot pole while fighting the urge to spill my guts. He never laughed when I missed...again.

I eventually took a brant and a bufflehead. We hit and, unfortunately lost, some others though. Don't think that hauling up a 40 foot anchor line stopped him from searching for them.

My cordial host nailed a drake bufflehead at mach 6 that dumped into the surf, but the rubbery thing actually shook it off and took off again. I should've realized then that those ducks were built for these conditions and I simply was not.

Crew however is definitely built for these conditions. I realized this as he aimed the boat into the whitecaps at full throttle, the hale stinging his face, driving while standing at the helm and exclaimed "YEEEHAAAA" as I helped by silently praying for my mortal soul. He couldn't have made it without me.

Thanks John. It was fun

Last edited by stevez on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:51 pm

First off, Steve, it was a pleasure meeting and sharing a bobbing boat with you, i always enjoy hunting with someone who shoots almost as bad as me,as for the sick part, i should have been paying attention, you did make a comment about it, but i didnt realize it was actually you that was sick, we could have stayed on that spit of land if you would have just said something......oh yea , you did....sorry, And i could have sworn that drake buffy i dropped gave me the middle nail as he flew off. We'll have to try it again another day when the weather isnt so nice, today was dress weather. But seriously, i intend to try that spot again, i think with a little more planning, that could be a real honey hole. crew

Oh yea, i didnt yell YEAHAAW as we were coming in...................i sorta just thought it out loud :lol:

And the most dangerous part of that hunt was my ride home, normally takes me about an hour, took over 3, i got home around 2pm, and what time did we leave, a little after 10???? weather and conditions just kept getting worse the further north and west i got.
Last edited by crewchief252 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TommyW » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:02 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. I guess I'll have to try hunting sea ducks one day.
TommyW
hunter

Postby njplotts » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Now that's hunting! No shoreline for cover & a moving shooting platform. Just remember to shoot when you are at the TOP of the rolling wave LOL
Welcome to the club!

yea, not for the faint of heart, is it bob? :sniper:
njplotts
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Salt water hunting is the best and we are just starting to get into the season. Bring on the cold/ice etc. BTW who was shooting at 16:15 in the Shrews today? Could hear them while taking out the garbage. Damm cold rain to be hunting in.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby njplotts » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:33 pm

I be down everyday once the north zone ends. But I hunt Barnegat Bay.
njplotts
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 pm

:mad:
Last edited by Modified_Choking on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 am

Modified_Choking wrote:
Huge open cold rough unforgiving water in all directions. -Stevez

I was wondering about you guys. I didn't see you from shore this morning so you must not have been near my usual spot...But you can be sure I had my cell ready to call the Coast Guard...on account of Stevez of course...I could see the white caps developing beyond the windshadow of land as the morning went on and the wind picked up.

Weird wind this morning! Glad to hear you had a good hunt.

I didn't even get to shoot this morning except for passing up on the Brant as usual...the Brant were flocked up like it was a refuge this morning. Here's a group cruising along from my vantage...

There were plenty of Black Ducks coming off the bay but that south wind kept them high as they came on shore.

We almost came around that corner ( i think i know where that pic is you took, ) but if i am right , we werent far from you, did you hear us blasting, hard to miss my 10g , we werent too far from the pier, saw some broadies, in close but not many, was just a little too rough to go searching, but we lucked out in a decent spot and got in some shooting.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Last edited by Modified_Choking on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:48 am

Modified_Choking wrote:
..we werent far from you, did you hear us blasting, hard to miss my 10g... -crewch

I can't say I did. You must have been just far enough away. But the fact that you had some BB's nearby is good to hear.

Yea, i always like seeing the broadies, but only saw 2-3 small groups, but we were tucked in pretty tight to shore, like i said, i did want to go searching, but the whitecaps took away that option, next saturday, try again, then probably again christmas eve morning, then the day after, then...........................
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:58 pm

Last edited by Modified_Choking on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:19 am

Modified_Choking wrote:
...but only saw 2-3 small groups...

This morning they came pouring in at about 9AM but didn't stick around too long. The bay was real rough all over and by S. Amboy where they rafted up.

A couple of small groups came back in about 1 or 2 PM; the bay had calmed down quite a bit by that time.

None of them came even close to the south shore atleast that I could see.

Had a lot of Brant...again. A lone C. Goldeneye came through early my buddy missed. Few high flying Blacks and Canadians and I dropped a Bufflehead Drake. Long day...lots of wind...one duck...but no pressure to return home cuz' I had my 7-yr old...a good day.

Yea, a couple guy's have said they are seeing em in S Amboy, do you launch right there at the old yacht club ramp? i have been meaning to try that, ( so much water, so little time) but i hear it's a tough one at lo tide, but hey, if thats where the birds are, i'll drag some mud, Boy, if a 7 yr old can stay out all day, i would say you have him hooked real good, . It was kinda funny, but i felt bad, when i went out last thurs, they canceled school , so my kid called me while i was out on the bay, wanted me to come home and get him, probably would have if it wasnt for the weather, but took me 3 hrs to get home when it usually takes 1 hr. But i am off this coming sat, so maybe we will run into out there somewhere, definately plan on being out there. :thumbsup:
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:46 am

Hey are those guys set up on LAND?
stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:35 am

stevez wrote:Hey are those guys set up on LAND?

No,only women set up on land steve :lol:
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:33 pm

Looks like land to me. I don't one could have been set up there today,even if hunting was allowed, east wind pushed a lot of water up into the twin rivers and I am sure the bay.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby kenfarley » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:03 pm

Stevez
I could not stop laughing. Because I have the pleasure of calling Crewchief my hunting buddy, We've been out a few times w/our kids, and every time is an experience I would'nt trade for a million. Even the time he set us up in a layoutboat & the water was splasing up & forming instant ice on the boat.(I did'nt think salt water could frezze). On that same trip the water started getting rough & in my hast to get out of there I left a bag of deeks on the shore. (he did'nt even get a little mad) Matter of fact the only time I've ever heard him yell was @ the helm (Yeeeehaaaa) or to SHOOT!!!!!!!!
kenfarley
Newb

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting