Sea Ducks Near Wildwood Area

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Sea Ducks Near Wildwood Area

Postby HeadlessBrant » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:25 pm

I hunt around the Wildwood area on a fairly regular basis but I never seem to run into any Old Squaws, Buffies, etc.

I have a 14' Broadbill boat and was wondering if this is adequate enough to handle the big water associated with sea duck hunting.

Also can anyone suggest any areas in South Jersey where it might be possible to set up for sea ducks with the rig I have.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
HeadlessBrant
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:19 pm

i know it's a ride for you, but i get quite a few in raritan bay, pretty close to shore.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

seaducks

Postby bughunter1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:58 am

If your looking for divers and or seaducks you need to be closer to inlets and or big water. If you have buffy decoys they will come to them but it seems like you need to have oldsquaw decoys to shoot them (oldsquaws) with any regularity. Pick your day scout around and your boat should be fine. Make sure you rig up your anchor line with a float of some kind so you can get set in the same spot after retrieving your birds. Any questions send me a pm I will try to help.
bughunter1
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:21 pm

Hey H.B.! Not being smart but if you get a chance and can purchase a 3 day license for Maryland the Chesapeake Bay is LOADED with Oldsquaw EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! I gunned it last week and honestly everywhere you looked was Oldsquaws!! Good luck to you and let me know how you do. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas.
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Re: seaducks

Postby stevez » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:15 pm

bughunter1 wrote:Make sure you rig up your anchor line with a float of some kind so you can get set in the same spot after retrieving your birds. Any questions send me a pm I will try to help.

Hey Crew that's a really good idea....no?
stevez
hunter

Postby stevez » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Oh and by the way Headlessbrant....14 feet isn't big enough. It's been my experience that you need at LEAST a 35-40 footer out there in the waves. I would also suggest a cabin, sleeping quarters, bathroom and lifeboat. :smile:
stevez
hunter

Re: seaducks

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:19 pm

stevez wrote:
bughunter1 wrote:Make sure you rig up your anchor line with a float of some kind so you can get set in the same spot after retrieving your birds. Any questions send me a pm I will try to help.

Hey Crew that's a really good idea....no?

Yea, i have thought about it, just havent gotten around to doing it
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting