bad start, good finish

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

bad start, good finish

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Headed down Raritan bay with my son today, launched at Raritan bay marina, and got to the sluice gates, and they were closed, lodaed the baot back up and ran down to keyport, and launched at Keyport marine basin, owner comes down and say you have to be back by noon, were closing everything up, OK, got out on the bay, pretty rough, kicked up a decent flock of brant right off cliffwood beach, so we set up about 100yrds off cliffwood, saw some flocks over union beach that had to be in the 1000's, guessing they were brant, and whoever was over there sounded like they were having a heck of a day, kid finally drops a hen buff, but just not much happening in our end, so we moved into matawan creek, set up in the main channel into the marsh, with half a dozen buff deeks, well, tha action was crazy, we had buffies coming in every 2 mins and if we could actually hit anything we would have had our limit in 20 mins, but we did end up with 7 buffies and one brantt. lots of shooting, so either way a super fun day with the youngun.

Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:49 pm

Just awesome! That is a truly a great end to a rough start. You are the king of the diving ducks... (congratulations Brandon!)

Is it my imagination or did your pictures recently get a whole lot clearer? New camera?

I launched in unfamiliar water this morning but it was well worth it. I had ducks flying everywhere and, if I had set my decoys properly, should have had them landing IN the decoys instead of 50 yards outside them..live and learn.

As it is, my 4 lone goose floaters earned their keep. The geese came steady for 2 hours and the small groups were checking my decoys and costing me plenty of shells. Eventually I nailed two birds. One dropped into the small creek and another splatted in the mud for an easy retrieve. Can't wait to go back next week!

How did everyone else do today?

stevez
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:56 pm

WTG Steve, no , no new camera, although i did ask santa for a nikon D-40, dont think i'm getting though, just loading them on a different computer, has to be it. But yes, was an awesome morning, cant wait to go back out, but i really want to get way out there, gotta find the broadies
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hardtime » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm

nice job guys....wish I was getting out as much lately :sad:
"....and when you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a ****."

-General Franks
hardtime
hunter

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Hardtime...what's stopping you from getting out?
Work?
stevez
hunter

Postby Dulmem » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Nicely Done... I was down at Assunpink to day on the big lake got some shooting.. but mostly divers out in the middle of the lake.
Dulmem
hunter

Postby hardtime » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:16 am

Yeah Steve,
Been workin' and holiday stuff. Parked the boat at my buddys house to start the camo.

Heading out Monday morning. I have a corn field loaded with geese every morning I am going to hit with my son.
"....and when you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a ****."

-General Franks
hardtime
hunter

Postby stevez » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:57 am

hardtime wrote:Yeah Steve,
Been workin' and holiday stuff. Parked the boat at my buddys house to start the camo.

Heading out Monday morning. I have a corn field loaded with geese every morning I am going to hit with my son.

Well bring a camera then....pictures are always nice to see!
stevez
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting