recipes for divers

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

recipes for divers

Postby johnboy07 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:07 pm

Anybody know any recipes or know where to get recipes for divers. Heard they weren't really that great tasting.
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:16 pm

soak em in milk overnight, and change the milk a few times if you can, then cut them up in small bite size pieces, bread with a seasoned or cajun type breading then deep fry, pretty tasty
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Crew is on it...

Postby rayrconj » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:11 pm

...and if you are really finicky take the fried nuggets and add chilli or stew fixins. Granted at that point it doesnt taste at ALL like duck...more like meat substate but its damn good. The North Carolina guys call it stew-fryin and an old guy out on Hatteras Island told me once its the only way he'd eat a "blackhead"
rayrconj
hunter

Re: Crew is on it...

Postby stevez » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:23 pm

rayrconj wrote:...and if you are really finicky take the fried nuggets and add chilli or stew fixins. Granted at that point it doesnt taste at ALL like duck...more like meat substate but its damn good. The North Carolina guys call it stew-fryin and an old guy out on Hatteras Island told me once its the only way he'd eat a "blackhead"

If I understand you correctly, you are taking crews fried cubes and then adding them to an ordinary chili or stew? I'm assuming the cubes instead of any other meat?

Blackhead=brant?
stevez
hunter

Postby rayrconj » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:15 pm

Sorry,
guess I could have specified a little better
yes - just use the cubes in place of other meat
&
blackheads = broadbills - the Carolina guys call them blackheads
but it works great with brant too!
rayrconj
hunter

Postby stevez » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Thankyou. I'm always looking for better ways to prepare game
stevez
hunter

Postby TheDuke » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Johnboy

I dont thing we need any recipes yet. first we have to shoot them damn things. Little fast werent they, fun as hell though. that reminds me I am gonna need a few more cases of shells before we go again
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
TheDuke
hunter

Postby stevez » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Maybe Crew will loan you his market gun?
stevez
hunter

Anybody know any recipes or know where to get recipes for di

Postby andrewerli » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 pm

You are correct, divers are not the greatest table fare; however, if you soak them ( breast meat only) in milk with an onion and apple overnight you can remove some of the fishy liver taste. After that marinade them in some good seasons italian dressing, substituting the red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar over night again. Place the breasts over med/high heat on your grill for three minutes each side. Remove and let rest for only 3 minutes. Slice thin and enjoy. Remember the rarer the better if you over cook than give your dog a treat.
andrewerli
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting