Go ahead - Take a Leak, I dare ya!

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Go ahead - Take a Leak, I dare ya!

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 pm

This morning was nutz on the Raritan Bay. The BB's came in all morning groups of 2 to 200 and everything in between. Plenty of Oldsquaw and Scoters as well. I missed evrything that decoyed in which were only a handful; mostly small groups of stragglers. As usual the BB's made a B-line to S. Amboy and would not decoy in as Crew mentioned the other day. Crazy thing is, we were only about 80 yards off their B-line.

So, at 9AM we had to head in. My buddy decides to take a leak before picking up...practically with one gun in each hand (figuratively speaking) he nailed this Black Scoter from a group of about 20. He claims he just about shot himself in the eye...if you know what I mean. We were laughing the whole way in.

We're gonna try it again tomorrow...we'll see what the weather does.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Re: Go ahead - Take a Leak, I dare ya!

Postby crewchief252 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 pm

Modified_Choking wrote:This morning was nutz on the Raritan Bay. The BB's came in all morning groups of 2 to 200 and everything in between. Plenty of Oldsquaw and Scoters as well. I missed evrything that decoyed in which were only a handful; mostly small groups of stragglers. As usual the BB's made a B-line to S. Amboy and would not decoy in as Crew mentioned the other day. Crazy thing is, we were only about 80 yards off their B-line.

So, at 9AM we had to head in. My buddy decides to take a leak before picking up...practically with one gun in each hand (figuratively speaking) he nailed this Black Scoter from a group of about 20. He claims he just about shot himself in the eye...if you know what I mean. We were laughing the whole way in.

We're gonna try it again tomorrow...we'll see what the weather does.

MC, good luck tomorrow, yea, we had the same thing with the BB's and we were right on the line they would fly overhead and both sides, I was talking with my dad who is a seriously experienced diver hunter, and he said they used to tie up right under the keansburg pier, and they would come right in, gotta try that next time
I'm also wondering if it might not be a bad idea to set up down in Sth Amboy and wait for them there, unfortunately, i live a bit too far to come down just to scout out where in SA they are sitting down, may have to think about that idea for thurs or fri.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:39 pm

I'm also wondering if it might not be a bad idea to set up down in Sth Amboy and wait for them there,

Sort of did that today...except we weren't waiting for them - they were already there. We finally set up at about 9:30-10AM. We waited a little while before launching due to the weather.

We launched out of SA, headed a bit south to Lawr. H. we were a hair south of Chsq. Crk. and the BB's were about 200 yrds south of us. Various groups filtered in either from the shipping lane to our north or from Keansb. from the SE. None really stopped at us for a look; they just went around us. It wasn't until about 11:30 AM when the group on the water to our South decided to move that they they came in for a look. But then they flared at about 60 yrds. and went around or just looped back and sat down again.

The only thing we can figure is that our boat is just too big a profile with a blind up. We discussed that next time we'll just nix the blind and lay down as flat as we can. It's a 14 ft alum. which is hard to use like a layout but when you don't have one I guess you make it work.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:08 am

We were laying down in mine last week without the blind, and had the same situation, mine is a 16' everytime i have been out this year, wind has been a bit much for my layout, plus i need 2 boats even though my layout is motored. Oh well, i guess i'll try the pier hiding thing, headed out on thurs or fri, would really like to get a broadie or 2 before the season ends, we'll see how that works
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting