Strange encounters

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Strange encounters

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:19 pm

We all know that shooting ducks isn't the only reason we torture ourselves each season. The entire experience from waking in the dark to stepping in over our waders makes us feel more alive.

For me it's also the array of non-game animals I encounter while in the marsh. Today I sat dumbfounded as a huge beaver swam right up to me, literally 5 feet away, and proceeded to stare at the "odd human shaped tree" he had found for at least 15 minutes. I could've patted him on his head if I reached forward. Eventually my brother got nervous and politely asked the beaver to move on, which it did although it never left our vicinity.

I have so many river otter stories I could bore you all to death!

I was wondering, how many of you have had close encounters with wildlife like this? Do I just smell like food?
stevez
hunter

Postby ed wells » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:53 pm

I have a spot i hunt wood ducks in the early season and it seems every year the beavers seem to greet me with a few tail slaps in the water just before shooting light.
ed wells
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:02 pm

I used to tell my son all the time that hunting was more than shooting game, and a big part was all the wildlife you see in the field, on his first ever deer hunt, we had a fox hunting mice in the field right in front of us, was a real trip to watch it hoping up and down pouncing mice, my kid loved it, and last year deer hunting he had 3 bears come right under his tree. One of my favorite was a few years ago during bow season, an owl landed in the tree with me 5 feet away, was really something to see.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:51 am

:dito: on the fox hunting mice. Way cool watching them pounce through snow cover.

I've enjoyed watching Kingfisher's dive no more than a few feet away from the boat to get small baitfish. Close enough to splash water on me once.

Or how 'bout a couple of Muskrat fighting over territory or whatever it was right behind me (few feet) as I sat in my canoe on the side of the marsh flat - actually that scared the XYZ out of me.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:57 pm

I watched 2 squirrels paly chicken with a hawk once, I was laughing so hard I almost fell outta my treestand. Little suckers had big nads messing with that hawk. Funniest part was when the hawk was winded and sitting on a branch one of the squirrels went out on the branch less than a foot from the hawk and started giving him H%$#. Made my entire season.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Hunted this past Friday in the coastal. My dog looks back behind mee and stqrts shaking, like when she sees birds coming in. I turn and look - there are 4 deer (does) about 60yds from us about 1500yds from any shelter or woods. They were right on the edge of the marsh as though they were going to drink, but I have no idea what they were doing. My dog was very confsed about it.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:56 pm

While bowhunting a few years ago I had a fawn come in .
It sniffed around until it ended up under the treestand.
As it was routing under a fallen branch it picked it's head up with the branch square on top.
The little skipper looked around for witnesses, acting proud as can be about the 'crown' it wore.
Mama didn't show up until after the fawn shook off the branch.
Didn't get a deer that year, but, it didn't matter after that show.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby JerseyCharlie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:44 am

I have had many encounters, some very unique all great to remember but one I would like to share:

Early part of the Duck season on one of the WMA lakes north central NJ ... set out decoys about an hour before shooting time, it was a cloudy morning, one of the decoys was off by itself ... at first light I see what turned out to be six turtles surrounding the lone decoy I guess they were getting ready for breakfast.
Jersey Charlie
JerseyCharlie
Newb

Postby flatsman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:57 pm

Had 3 neat encounters recently... last week birdhunting in manasquan WMA had a snowy owl fly from its roost right above me. pretty cool sight. also last week had a hawk attack my spinning wing decoy-boy was he suprised. Finally, earlier this year saw bald eagle cruising the salt marsh- man they are big!
flatsman
hunter

Postby stevez » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:37 pm

All really great stories! Any more out there?
stevez
hunter

Anyone for a swim?

Postby Dulmem » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:02 pm

A few years back I was duck hunting at Assunpink when I saw what looked like someone swimming across the lake at about 200 yards out. As the swimmers got close I saw it was three deer swimming across the lake and they came out about 20 yards from my blind. I never saw deer swim in deep water, it was a great experience. Those animals can move fast in the water!
Dulmem
hunter

Postby Marshmudd » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

A couple of years back, during spring gobbler, I was working a bird, had my gun up. I could see him coming. I had a little bird (possibly a nuthatch). Land on my gun Barrel. I couldn't see the bead, but I couldn't move either, because I didn't want to spook the turkey after probably 2 minutes, felt like 2 hours holding the gun up. The bird finally flew away.

I did take that turkey also.

:thumbsup:
Here's hoping for a lite rain every hunt!
Marshmudd
hunter

Postby Scatterman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

Four year ago while ducking hunting at the Clinton WMA. An odd shape starts swimming across the resevior from the far bank righ t at my blind. The biggest ten point buck I have ever seen swims right at my blind within twenty yards.

It was shotgun permit season and If I had a slug with me it would have been toast. Got a nice pic of it instead, I'll try to find it and post.
Scatterman
hunter

Postby TheDuke » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:24 am

The first week of duck season 07 I was out in alloways creek down here in hancocks bridge and I got to witness a Bald eagle swoop down and grab a fish out of the water. There is two nesting pairs down this way. One nest up in the tower for the nuke plants power lines and another on my father on my father in laws farms. Get to wathc them hunt rabbits and other small critters during deer season.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
TheDuke
hunter

Postby stevez » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Marshmudd wrote:A couple of years back, during spring gobbler, I was working a bird, had my gun up. I could see him coming. I had a little bird (possibly a nuthatch). Land on my gun Barrel. I couldn't see the bead, but I couldn't move either, because I didn't want to spook the turkey after probably 2 minutes, felt like 2 hours holding the gun up. The bird finally flew away.

I did take that turkey also.

:thumbsup:

This one even made my girl laugh.
stevez
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting