Any new birds in the area?.

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Any new birds in the area?.

Postby ed wells » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 pm

I was wandering if anyone had any reports of new birds in the area from this cold front.Also has anyone hunted the maurice river this week, i will be heading down there tomorrow.
ed wells
hunter

Postby stevez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Ed I scouted all afternoon and didn't see a single bird of any kind. I'm also heading out by myself tomorrow ( brother cancelled) and was wondering the same thing as you....what to expect?

The tide got me a little worried though. Looks like a dead low morning with high water around 2:30 pm where I go. How do you cope with that?
stevez
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:02 pm

been a ton of ducks up river close to Millville and plenty down below the Mauricetown Bridge. Mostly Blacks and Mallards a few teal and believe it or not we still got wood ducks.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby stevez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Well my brother is back in so now we're goin out at 12:00pm for an afternoon hunt. Probably just be a boat ride...lol.

I want to see pictures of all tomorrows kills Tack. No pictures and I will have to consider all this to be just a duck story :wink:
stevez
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Well all we got was one mallard but it sure wasn't the ducks fault. I couldn't even hit the water if I shot at it LOL.
I saw the usual suspects, blacks, mallards, teal,wood ducks. But the iteresting thing I saw was a bunch of pintails. I even had reports back at the ramp of redheads on the river but no physical evidence was offered. All in all a good time. Funniest thing was the mallard that got shot when the dog went for the retrieve the duck dove and the dock must of hit it with his foot. The duck popped up and the dog got it.
Then the dog returned to the bank dropped the duck into the boat and walked back into the blind and looked at me like he was saying "I put in the boat Dad so you don't have tp carry it" :rofl:
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby TommyW » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey Tack we have killed Red Heads on the river before. It's a good chance they are there. Not to smart if ask me. :biggrin:
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby stevez » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Well we only got a red-breasted merganser, but it was a darned handsome bird. Actually, considering all the mistakes I made, we were lucky to get anything.

Upon arrival I found my secret little creek full of ice. We broke through it but then got to thinking that ice-bergs don't make for a good spread...so we moved on. Wasted 2 hours in a "new" spot where I personally missed and missed again.

Returned to the icy creek to find it now swarming with ducks and geese. Quickly set up, but the out-going tide was working against us by now. Had to pack it up before we were stranded in mud, just as wave after wave of every sort of waterfowl was trying to land on the boat....if I had only waited 20 more minutes :smile:

Duck season is now over for me. It seems that every year I am amazed at how dumb I was only a year prior. I already know that next season I will be totally baffled by the decisions I made this season.

Lesson Number 1) Don't be so quick to move when you know you are in a good spot...patience is a virtue out there
stevez
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting