RARITAN BAY 1/7/08

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

RARITAN BAY 1/7/08

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:49 pm

First, some good advise, stay away from the south amboy ramp, headed out of there this morning, started kicking up broadies 1/4 mile out. lots of buffs and squaws too, but no wind so the only time anything flew was when i moved the boat, plenty of birds, just not moving much, ended up not even pulling the trigger, but as usuall, unloaded and cased the gun grabbbed the first deek to pick up, and 2 drake buffs, land 30 feet from the boat, they laughed a bit and left, Now, back to the ramp, lo tide when i got back, hooked up, then proceeded to sink the truck in sand right up to the axles, Luckily, a fellow duck hunter and DHC member showed up and offered to pull me out. If it wasnt for him, my truck would be dissappearing at hi tide, I feel like a real heel though, he told me his name, and i forgot it, i do know it was DUCKHUNTINGKID's dad, they were both there, ANyway, thanks a bunch guy's you definately saved my bacon today, and i hope i can repay the favor some day.
Last edited by crewchief252 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

RARITAN BAY

Postby harborfowler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:27 pm

Cewchief , my name is Charlie aka. (harborfowler)and it was no problem at all. i always keep a strap in my truck just in case, for a moment like that.Just glad to have been checking out the bay or i wouldnt have come across you.I new that ramp was there but didnt bother to post it for that reason. The ramp is fairly new and it already needs to be dredged. Well take care and hope to see you out there............harborfowler
harborfowler
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I may not have gotten any birds but i got to meet a fellow chat member, and decent guy, Thanks again.
Check your pm's
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stevez » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:07 pm

I saw a guy this past summer stuck just as you described. His brand new 4-wheel drive Jimmi was slowly getting submerged by the incoming tide. Nobody would or could help him. Eventually, we even un-trailered his boat and tied it to the piling so at least it wouldn't get pulled under and sink too. It was a hopeless feeling watching that water rise.

Miraculously, the lighthouse keeper happened to come home just as the water was reaching the bottom of the truck doors. The keeper raced monster trucks and, for the modest fee of 75.00, drove this HUGE Bronco monster truck down to the ramp and winched the Jimmi out. The little truck lost its bumper but it did survive to see another day.

You were a lucky man Crew! I think this is an EXCELLENT lesson for all of us using those sandy ramps. Never do it alone.

Harborfowler.... :thumbsup:
stevez
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear you had such trouble. When I was there a week and a half ago we had a half-high tide on the way out and a high tide on the way in. Didn't really realize it was so bad or I would have made mention.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby jon55nj » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:21 am

Glad it all worked out in the end. If nothing else, I really like the pictures. I don't get down there too much, but have never seen the bay that calm.

If it was the same every time it wouldn't be fun.
jon55nj
hunter

Postby Scatterman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 am

WOW haven't seen it that smooth in a while.

Conditions like that are great for fishing but miserable for ducking hunting.
Scatterman
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting