Raritan Bay report - Sat. 1/5/07

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Raritan Bay report - Sat. 1/5/07

Postby Scatterman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:45 am

A little late filing the report but I was too busy cleaning and cooking up all the birds from the weekend :wink:

I was a little worried about getting out with all the reports of freeze outs last week but was pleasantly surprised when I got to the Leonardo ramp on Sat. to see that the water was open with only a thin skin of ice in the marina. We set up about a mile from the Naval pier out in the open water and just after shooting light here comes the bills pouring out of the ocean, in those huge flocks. Unfortunately they wanted nothing to do with our spread and just flew over and around us as did the old squaw, scoters, black, and buffies that were mixed in.

After about an hour and a half it became apparent that we were not going to get anything to decoy in that spot so we picked up and motored over to Sandy Hook and set up by the old ammunitions bunkers. This area had fewer birds but was much more productive in terms of decoying birds that committed to our spread. Stayed here for about an hour ending up with a mixed bag of Canada Geese, Oldquaw, Brandt and a Buffy - nine birds in total.

Tide was moving out so we decided to take a scouting run up the Shrewsbury. Along the way we stopped briefly and threw a few deks just past the first island in the river. Some blacks, buffies and brandt on the water but nothing much moving by this time of the morning. We did manage to scratch down two more brandt while we were there but we could tell that nothing much was moving so we decided to pick up and head back.

All in all a good morning considering how much moving around we did. I am sure if we would have been set up at our second stop from the get go we would have easily limited out.
Scatterman
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting