sneakbox outboard weight

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderator: johnboy07

sneakbox outboard weight

Postby sprig » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 am

Just acquired a highland sneak box (kmt) and going to put outboard on it. Do you guys think the 7 lb. difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke motor will make a huge difference in the way she floats or runs. To me the difference does not seem too much. Any thoughts, thanks in advance.

Sprig
sprig
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: sneakbox outboard weight

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:11 am

Probably not but I've noticed that 4 stroke engines seem to sit back further putting the weight behind the stern whereas a 2 stroke seems to have the weight directly over the stern. In the case of 7 lbs I doubt you'd notice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Re: sneakbox outboard weight

Postby G3_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

You wont notice a difference in the way it runs from the weight at all. You will notice that a 4 stroke is a bit sluggish in comparison from a dead stop in comparison to a 2 stroke. The weight will affect the draft of an empty boat especially on something as small as a sneak box but 7 pounds isnt much so youll see less than a half inch of difference in draft of the empty boat. If the difference in weight was more than 15 pounds then I would think it would be an actual issue for you. Where the weight will make a difference is when having to pull the prop out of the water. With an icy deck and bulky clothes the less weight you have to reach out and grab the better. Overall i think 2 strokes are the way to go the only down side if you can really call it that is you have to mix the fuel, on the other hand however you dont have to do an oil change on the motor ever (except lower end of course)
G3_
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting