Bernardo/La Joya Water Update

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Bernardo/La Joya Water Update

Postby nmduckboy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:08 am

Talked to the guys at the Bernardo Unit yesterday to see if the youth ponds would be flooded for the youth waterfowl days this weekend. They said they haven't started flooding anything north of Hwy 60, but the good news is that they have started some to the south! They said that the west side of the ponds unit is pretty much full and they've started flooding ponds 1,2, and 6 in La Joya! :thumbsup: According to them, there is already quite a few birds using the Bernardo ponds since they started flooding. But it doesn't look like the quagmire and other parts of La Joya will be wet until the 1st of November or so.
A couple of us are going to take the kids out on Sunday and see if we can get them on some early ducks. I'll keep you posted on our success........ :hammer:
ADHD -- Avid Duck Hunting Disorder
nmduckboy
hunter

Re: Bernardo/La Joya Water Update

Postby relic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 pm

how did it go out there.
relic
hunter

Postby nmduckboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 pm

It went fabulous......3 adults took 6 kids to the west side Bernardo ponds. There was only 4 or 5 inches of water over 12 inches of mud and it was alot of hard work to get 3 dozen deeks and 2 mojos out amongest the millet. We fell several times in the mud, while the kids watched from the bank in amusement. 10 minutes before shooting time, the sky was FULL of ducks and we had more than a few landing 10 feet from the kids.
Shooting time came and the entire NM Buck Gardner Pro Staff called around 200 ducks within 10 yards of the kids between shooting time and 9am. Each kid shot at least 1 box of shells each, except my son who shot at least 2. The 4 kids that had guns ended up shooting 7 mallards, a pintail, and a widgeon. Although shooting percentages were way low, the fun we had is not able to be measured. There are pics on Duke City Duck Club's Facebook page, I believe, and as soon as Lance edits the video, he can let us know where that is as well.
The youth waterfowl days were a great idea. It's a day I will never forget and hopefully a shade of things to come this season. :smile:
ADHD -- Avid Duck Hunting Disorder
nmduckboy
hunter

Postby thunder92 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Great, thanks for the update! Planning on checking it out soon. I'll send an update too. Must be fun for the kids too.
thunder92
hunter

Postby DCL » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey does anybody know what days you can hunt Bernardo? What time do you have to be there in the am?
DCL
hunter

Postby randy marci » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm

DCL wrote:Hey does anybody know what days you can hunt Bernardo? What time do you have to be there in the am?

the proc will tell you everything you need to know.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby bandgitter91 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 am

ponds are sunday,tues,thurs
quag is sat,mon,wed
all are closed on fri
and you can git there at any time really no set time i'd say be there around 4 and don't be one of them people who comes in 5 til shoot time and expects to find a spot or sit right on top of people. And please bring decoys cuz ppl who are pass shoootin is fine just don't be the one 2 crowd in around somebody else and sky bust or steal ducks they shoot, and yes old man who stole my duck this is directed at you i don't ever wanna see you by my spread again.
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby vlb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:57 pm

I hunted at Bernardo a few years. That sewer smell wasn't from just the water. I checked Bernardo on a Saturday, around four in the morning. I watched where people set up, they set up to close to each other. It seemed to work for them. I only hunted there on weekdays after that. I haven't been there in over four years. :no:
vlb
hunter

Postby Dirt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:56 am

vlb wrote:I hunted at Bernardo a few years. That sewer smell wasn't from just the water.

Yeah what is up with that sewer smell??? It smells just like the wma "formerly known as " Ladd S. Gordon in Tucumcari, just at the time they were pumping raw sewage which would be just after the carp died. So they changed the name. If its a sewage deal again must be time to change the name of Ladd S. Gordon complex again.
Dirt
hunter

Postby DCL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Anybody hunt these areas lately? I've been hearing that the ponds are frozen over??
DCL
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm

There is open water on both bernardo and la joya, but it is hit and miss as far as what water is frozen, at least the last time i was there monday
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting