Some Movment Today

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Some Movment Today

Postby lindschesapeake » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:58 pm

Went out for a short hunt before work today and had good bird movment during the first hour, But was short lived after that. Headed to work at 8 and didn't notice anything flying.

Bird count at Bosque at 67K. Birds holding tight and don't think much will happen until some colder air moves in.

I hope some of you out there could provide a post now and then, This site is free unlike waterfowler.com where you get a lot of bragging reports. So may be somone else might post something.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Non-hunting waterfowl report

Postby Escopeton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:57 am

Hey Lindsey:

Tomorrow I will go out and try for some ducks south of Los Lunas. Everyday I cross the Rio Grande to take my kids to work and see a lot of Canadas and ducks using the river by the bridges - of course, they don't have any shooting at them in town. Everyday I see a hundred or so Canadas in an alfalfa field on Second Street just north of the old Schwartzman place.

I will post up on my hunt tomorrow.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Not too bad of a day

Postby Escopeton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:06 pm

Set up south of the Los Lunas bridge. Some ducks were flying about and even enticed two fly into my shot pattern. Saw a flock of fifty snows come over a little too high, if they were only ten yards lower. Of course, a ton of cranes were flying about. Some guys were about a half of mile downstream from me skybusting, so what's new, right? And, they were bad callers to boot. Weather was slightly overcast and river flowing at 1,000 CFS.
Escopeton
hunter

Hello, not sure who you are

Postby lindschesapeake » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:31 am

Hello, not sure who you are but i hope things are well.

I was up north hunting Canada Geese. Since Alamosa is frozen over now the birds are moving down. Managed to bag 3 in two days but way too much time and effort in my estiamtion for just three geese.

Heading to the midwest in the start of Dec. to chase pheasants and do some goose hunting if the right opportunity presents itself. May head east over thanksgiving
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 am

Hey Lindsey:

This is Thomas Peña from RHRC. I had been drawn for Las Vegas Dark Goose Hunt but my wife forgot to tell me that they are in the middle of interviews for the Pycho Dept at UNM, so, I couldn't go. Damn, I even have a new call, Hammerdown T-Bone that I wanted to try. Oh, well. I have saved up enough merit points and that added to them. I put in for the Bosque del Apache hunt and we'll see about that and I have MRGV permit for January. I am very tempted in driving up the the San Juan and do a cast and blast for Canadas and trout - I have done well up there. We will see, the season is still going and I have time. Hunt hard all.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby duckslayer89 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:07 pm

Goin huntin tomorrow ill post how i do. Last weekend on saturday went down on the river but it sucked big time there where ont many birds flying at all.
DuCkSlAyEr
duckslayer89
hunter

Postby duckslayer89 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:04 pm

went on thanksgiving morning. It was a awesome day got a total of 7 birds with 4 guys huntin lots of birds before shootin time but after the sun cane out the birds satyed down every now and then little groups of 4 or 5 came in.
DuCkSlAyEr
duckslayer89
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:21 pm

Howdy, I'm new to the forum and duck hunting in general. I've only been out once this season, saw a couple dozen ducks and managed to bag a couple mallards in a place I wouldn't normally expect to find birds. I'm up in Santa Fe and was thinking about heading down to Bernardo or La Joya this weekend but I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about the WMA's. Would I just be wasting my time there? Are those places really crowded? I'd prefer realtive solitude and a couple ducks to crowds and a limit. Also a factor is my lack of dogs (at least ones that will retrieve a bird without eating it, lol), decoys, or a boat. So if there is some marshy areas at Bernardo or La joya where i can just wade and jump shoot I'd appreciate knowing about it. Otherwise I'll just go back to my secret spot. Thanks all
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Escopeton » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Hey Ghost;

The refuges can be producitive if you can catch them during the week or when there are not too many hunters about. It is a chance you take to hunt them. I have been there and had a blast and other times, you are amazed by the poor hunters that are there. Go and scout the area and see if it is to your liking. You can walk in in some areas. I have more experience with La Joya but will hunt on Bernardo this year.

Eventually, you may get a dog to be your hunting partner. A lot of us started without a dog and did the walk and stomp or chase a bird down, however, now that I have hunted waterfowl and upland with a dog, I will never hunt birds without one. It is a different ballpark hunting with a trained dog.

As far as equipment is concerned, it accumulates with time.

Hunt hard.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tips Escopeten. Too bad there's not more traffic on this forum. It seems like it could be a great resource. I'll try to make it down to the WMA's during the week. I'd at least like to check them out and see what's around. Went out again last weekend and got my first double, which was pretty cool. I do plan on getting a dog eventually since i also hunt quail a bit and i often spend more time looking for downed birds then doing anything else. Haven't lost one yet though! I'm leaning towards a lab of some kind. I'll just gradually build up the rest of my equipment as my skill level and needs progress.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Just got back in town

Postby lindschesapeake » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:33 pm

The WMAs south in my estimation are not worth the time or effort. I do believe that the game dept forgot what the M stands for in WMA. La Joya is so screwed up with smart weeds and other over growth. I could really get started on this but I won't

Good hunting can be found up north of Sant fe but a good dog is needed. The WMA over by Las Vegas can be productive if you catch it right. Early season on the northeast part of NM has some fantastic areas. The mountain ponds, over by Maxwell. Late season can be good way down south and some days on the mid rio can be a real kick. However a dog is a must. The E Butt is holding ducks but very tricky on knowing how to hunt them.

Places east can have good numbers and up around Farminton gives a one the opportunitiy to shoot a varitey of ducks.

Overall duck hunting in this state can be very frustrating since opportunities are limited. There are days that can be very good and then it turns off. Honey holes are priceless so if you find one or two you better just keep very low key about them or they will soon become a honey hole no more.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting