New to NM

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

New to NM

Postby mrbillybob10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:36 am

Hello,

I am new to NM and would like some general info on where to hunt. I'm not asking for you to give up your honey holes, but i would like some general areas where i can find water. I live in Hobbs, NM and dont want to travel more than 150 miles if i dont have to. I have heard there is a wildlife refuge near roswell, NM. Are there any hunting areas near that?
Even a bad cookie is better than no cookie at all.
mrbillybob10
hunter

Re: New to NM

Postby nmduckboy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:53 am

mrbillybob10 wrote:I live in Hobbs, NM and dont want to travel more than 150 miles if i dont have to. I have heard there is a wildlife refuge near roswell, NM. Are there any hunting areas near that?

mrbillybob10,
Let me be the first to welcome you to NM :welcome:

Being from Alb, I've never had an opportunity to hunt in the southeast part of the state. But there are 2 Wildlife Managment Areas (WMAs) down there that allow waterfowl hunting: Brantley Wildlife Area near Roswell and Seven Rivers Waterfowl Area near Carlsbad. Go to this webpage: http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/conserv ... /index.htm
It is the index for all the WMAs mananged by NMDGF. There are links to the above mentioned places in the Southeast section and it will open .pdf files that have a little extra info with maps.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'm sure someone will come along on the forum that lives in that part of the state that could help you out more than I. If you ever get an itchin' to hunt up here, post again and we'll point you in the right direction. Have a great season and :hammer: some birds!
ADHD -- Avid Duck Hunting Disorder
nmduckboy
hunter

Postby mrbillybob10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am

Thank you nmduckboy! I really appreciate the info.
Even a bad cookie is better than no cookie at all.
mrbillybob10
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 pm

i am considering moving there next year if a job offer comes through. just in general how is th hunting? how long is the season? what kinds of ducks do you usually see? what is an average kill per hunt?
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:21 am

aggiechiro wrote:i am considering moving there next year... just in general how is th hunting? how long is the season? what kinds of ducks do you usually see? what is an average kill per hunt?

too late, NM is longer accepting texans. the quota was met years ago. and the duck hunting here is terrible. :rolleyes:

the answers to all your burning questions can be found within this forum! happy reading.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115900
bluewing77
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:44 am

looks like it was a good day
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 am

if u want 2 know about the hunting here there is whats called a proclamation. u can pick one up @ ur local wal->art here or if ur out of state u can look up on the internet. 2 many questions 2 early also that goverment affiliate called the new mexico department of game and fish also has a website and ph. # sorry 2 sound frank but all of us on here do our own scouting and our homework so suggested u do the same

goodluck and hope u find what u r looking 4. maybe someone will else might
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:25 pm

blonco10 wrote:if u want 2 know about the hunting here there is whats called a proclamation. u can pick one up @ ur local wal->art here or if ur out of state u can look up on the internet. 2 many questions 2 early also that goverment affiliate called the new mexico department of game and fish also has a website and ph. # sorry 2 sound frank but all of us on here do our own scouting and our homework so suggested u do the same

goodluck and hope u find what u r looking 4. maybe someone will else might

you might want to lean the difference between two, to, and too.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 pm

im not going 2 do this back and forth u dont have anything 2 say but bag on the way i use 2 or 2 or 2. the last thing im going 2 say on this topic is find ur own spots and get out there like we all do.

i still wish people good luck even if they want 2 get mad when someone does not want 2 say where 2 go.

so goodluck this yr.
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 pm

blonco10 wrote:im not going 2 do this back and forth u dont have anything 2 say but bag on the way i use 2 or 2 or 2. the last thing im going 2 say on this topic is find ur own spots and get out there like we all do.

i still wish people good luck even if they want 2 get mad when someone does not want 2 say where 2 go.

so goodluck this yr.

its ok. when you're old enough to go hunting and not just text all day you'll learn a few things. hopefully one of those will be reading comprehension. i never once asked where to go. just asked how y'all do and how you like it. i know you don't want to put your big boy britches on and actually read a post when you think you get a chance to flame someone, but next year in jr. high the teachers won't be so lenient.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby nmduckboy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:38 pm

I agree that posting specifics on this or any other forum is a bad idea. But Texans are some of the most hospitable people on the planet. There's no doubt that if I had posted something in their forum asking how the hunting was in South Texas, I would have at least been treated with respect and civility.
Aggiechiro, I hope you don't believe that the comments of few are the consensus of all. If your new job comes through and you would still like some help, PM me and I'll do what I can. No one knows exactly when you'll reap what you sow, but one thing is sure, it will always be exactly what you planted.
ADHD -- Avid Duck Hunting Disorder
nmduckboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 am

nmduckboy wrote:There's no doubt that if I had posted something in their forum asking how the hunting was in South Texas, I would have at least been treated with respect and civility.

no doubt, and if you want to talk about that i could do it all day.

nmduckboy wrote:Aggiechiro, I hope you don't believe that the comments of few are the consensus of all.

no i don't think that. you get all types of people everywhere.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 am

aggiechiro wrote: hopefully one of those will be reading comprehension.

cut us some slack. i think NM ranks 49th in the nation for education. rhyme time baby.

hey aggie you didnt tell the nice guys here about the nice pm i sent ya.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 am

well i wasn't gonna out you for helping an out of stater, but since you brought it up. yes you did send me some helpful info. thanks.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 am

aggiechiro wrote:well i wasn't gonna out you for helping an out of stater, but since you brought it up. yes you did send me some helpful info. thanks.

didnt want all the nice guys to think i'm not a nice guy too. :wink:
bluewing77
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

fair enough.

side note, went out this weekend and saw tons of dove and teal. also few groups of big ducks and 1 small flock of snows. you seeing anything yet?
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting