south?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

south?

Postby cmm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 am

has anyone scouted south of abq? like los lunas, belen, or bernardo? I went yesterday and the water is very very low. I dont know if that is good or bad for the ducks. I was thinking maybe good for the hunters because there isnt very many options for them to go but then if there a lot of hunters they wont decoy at all?
cmm
hunter

Re: south?

Postby hawg hunter nm » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Well I have and I haven't. I haven't been duck hunting in 10 years but used to hunt all the time when I was a kid. That being said I'm getting back into duck hunting this year. As far as down south goes I know anywhere on the river is good. I used to go further south to a little town that was flooded years ago. It has marshes and there used to be lots of ducks. Maybe we can compare notes or help each other out. I'm gonna try to hunt saturday morning. I'm still not convinced that its been cold enough to get the ducks as far south as NM yet just because I havent seen many. I'll probably still give it a whirl saturday. Let me know what u find out and we can work together. You can call my cell its 385-6060 and u have the area code. Thanks Rob
hawg hunter nm
hunter

Postby cmm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Ya the ditches were taking all the water but they should be closing that up this weekend. I am not sure what day so who know what the water will be like. I only hunt sundays because of my work and school schedule. And as far as ive seen lately, the birds arent really here yet either. Still too warm, but theyre coming slowly!
cmm
hunter

Postby Lindsey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 pm

MGCD shutting down irrigation on Sunday. Some birds around where there is some pond water. Some farmers taking last irrigation water these past few days and good early morning gunning on freshly irrigated fields.

I Don't expect much this year accept over a few short weeks. River isn't like it used to be and I have better use for my $ than buying a mud motor and hunt the mud flats down on the butt.

Farting around San Marcial can provide some good gunning but isn't like it used to be

Northwest NM will pickup soon and Alpine, NM should be getting the C geese checking in.

SAn Luis Valley in CO had low water this summer and duck population below the long term mean which translates to fewer birds for the early season in the MRGV.

Jicarilla having some good shoots but not interested in giving them my $. If you like cold weather shooting on lakes hit Heron or El Vado when the freeze hits. Very short lived hunt but can be one hell of a shoot if you hit it on the right day. Same can be said for eastern NM if a west Texas freeze up occurs and that may very well happen this winter. Far northwest has some good hole that provide interesting gunning opportunities.

Too many new arrivals to the state over the past decade with WMA's having trouble in loosing hunt able terrain due to invasive weeds and lack of $ for managing the WMA's. thus hunting pressure can be hell to deal with. Oh well just take a long nap and dream of the good old days.

Good day
Lindsey
hunter

Postby cmm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Ya too bad we need permission to hunt all those fields. I think it is way too warm for ducks right now too. but hey im a new hunter so what would i know. I know ZERO spots other than common river spots
cmm
hunter

Postby jhend08 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:34 am

The river definately picked up as of this morning. Not very many ducks either.
jhend08
hunter

Postby cmm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Ya I went this evening and it sucked! Also went sunday morning and sucked also! We just don't have any birds yet! Very disappointing so far I hope it picks up soon!
cmm
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting