Storm Front

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Storm Front

Postby jhend08 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Has anyone else been watching the storm front coming from up North? This storm is suppose to really get the birds moving so the action might really pick up pretty soon.
jhend08
hunter

Re: Storm Front

Postby hawg hunter nm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 pm

I just saw the weather and was thinking it might help things here in NM. Maybe if we get some action hunting we can get some action on the forum too lol. It's been pretty quiet in here! Anyone hunted north end of elephant butte or san marcial this year? I need to make a trip up there but would rather it be a hunting trip instead of scouting.
hawg hunter nm
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

I dont feel too excited about it yet.There still arent very many ducks in colorado so i figure they gotta show up there before they do here. I hope it helps though. I have hunted los lunas and pena blanca. Got skunked every time in los lunas and hardly saw any birds, a couple of nice groups but way high. Shot only a few in pena blanca. I am a pretty new hunter so im sure a lot of me not being able to shoot birds has to do with that but seeing birds Im pretty sure has nothing to do with that haha. Scouted la joya and didnt see much either. Walked up on a nice group of ducks on the north pond sunday but that was about it.
cmm
hunter

Postby Lindsey » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Dog out of action for at least another week, so I went down to La Joya since I knew I could retrieve my birds without going over my waders. It has been over 10 years since I've hunted La Joya and definitely not much has changed and it was what I expected: early groups working, then sky blasters raising Cain, too much calling going on, but with a little luck decoyed in 3 green boys (1 banded) and back at work at 9:15. A nice relaxing morning with some good exercise to go with it.

I saw good number of groups at a distance, and with my eyes they need to be big groups for me to see them. With single digits up north you can bet more on the way. Got into a lot of birds last week in NE NM. They should be filtering down into the MRGV

Should be good gunning for the next week or two. Anybody seen or heard any Snows? They are a barometer bird and thus gives an indication of real bird migration.

As the saying goes: "When the fishing is good you better go fishing." So it is time to hit it hard.
Lindsey
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:14 pm

hawg hunter nm wrote:I just saw the weather and was thinking it might help things here in NM. Maybe if we get some action hunting we can get some action on the forum too lol. It's been pretty quiet in here! Anyone hunted north end of elephant butte or san marcial this year? I need to make a trip up there but would rather it be a hunting trip instead of scouting.

I hunted the north end for dove and saw lots of ducks in September, but the area I was in had a rather large quagmire with a very muddy bottom and I didn't want to get in it then any more than I want to get in it now. The river was shallow and I walked out to a sandbar with my boots slung over my shoulders for pass shooting dove all day long. Ducks, especially Teal, were quite active in the early morning (dawn) and at sunset (dusk). That's a long drive for me and not worth the trip unless I set camp for a day or two.
StevenL
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 am

I have not yet seen any snows at all. I saw one group of canadians 2 weeks ago in pena blanca. I sure hope it picks up soon. I know the east side of the state should be pretty slammed with ducks. It seems that texas is at pretty high numbers so east part of the state should be slamming!
cmm
hunter

Postby Lindsey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 am

Steven - You are right about those mud flats. Several years ago when there was a little more water in the butt I was hunting out of my pod when I witnessed a guy who was trying to get to the birds on the mud flats bust his mud motor shaft and he had to be rescued by an an air boat. IF you are talking about the flats I'm thinking of you can hike in from the north (a mile or two) and find a few back washes that are huntable. And you are right camping out is the way to go. Wait until more birds are using the area. I've seen several thousands of birds work that stretch when they are packed in there. That is why I beleive SM doesn't have the birds like it used to when the butt was all the way up there..
Lindsey
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting