northern alpine ponds

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

northern alpine ponds

Postby duck vader » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 am

news from an old team roping buddy from black lake nm near angel fire lots of ducks on the ponds and lakes although they starting to skim over during the night but open with the sun and the wind during the day. the ice staying a little longer each day. eagle nest is way open and has several hundred canadians with some ducks to far away to identify, rafting in open water. 16" to22" kokanee snagging in the honey hole by the south boat ramp, i dont. snag (cuts in to my duck hunting time) thought some of you guys might like to know. I hardly ever make predictions, but i got the week after thanksgiving as when we really start to get what we're all waiting for "northerns". hopefullly i am wrong (again) and we see them sooner....shoot straight DV
duck vader
hunter

Re: northern alpine ponds

Postby ZeroCool » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:20 pm

I was thinking of heading up there sometime in December to scout things out. Does anyone know if the land around Black lake is state-owned? Don't want to make the mistake of getting onto private land. Thanks.
ZeroCool
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:53 am

duck vader wrote:I got the week after thanksgiving as when we really start to get what we're all waiting for "northerns". hopefullly i am wrong (again) and we see them sooner...

i'm off from work 11/26 thru 12/7, so your prediction sounds good to me.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Black Lake is very private. I have always seen birds around Eagle Nest on a yearly basis.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby duck vader » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:49 pm

the land around black lake is the UU bar ranch and access is strickly controled as they have elk leases going this time a year. but i can tell you it is so marshy and muddy one can't wade out far enough to even set decoys. DV
duck vader
hunter

Postby ZeroCool » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Glad I didn't make that mistake.
ZeroCool
hunter

Postby ZeroCool » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:07 pm

I stopped off at the game and fish department today to ask for suggestions other than Bernardo to get on some birds. The lady there told me to try Cochiti. I was under the impression that was reservation land? Anyone have any experience up there? Thanks.
ZeroCool
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting