Gadwalls

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Gadwalls

Postby basseagle83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Anyone catch many gadwalls around NM? Im just not sure how common they are here. I never have. Im down here in the Southern part of NM and that might be why. But a group Fd up and flew into my deeks Saturday morn. We got 2 mallards too but I got very excited about having to break out the trusty id book. I blasted a nice shoveler thanksgiving day too which Ive never got before here in NM
Attachments
IMG00374-20101127-0835.jpg
IMG00369-20101127-0832.jpg
basseagle83
hunter

Re: Gadwalls

Postby cjc » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 pm

basseagle83 wrote:Anyone catch many gadwalls around NM?

I've never caught one. The fishing net had a hole in it the one time I came close. But I have shot them many a times. They are very abundant around LJ.
cjc
hunter

Postby basseagle83 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 am

Gotcha. I feel dumb then, but Ive never shot one down here before ever. I need to make it up to LJ for some duck killing! Ive only been there for work.

Im in the South part o NM and I usually see mallards, teals, wood ducks. Had some coots and two snows commit suicide back in the day too. The only thing I can say are abundant are mallards. There arnt that many ducks down here in general I guess. But I was excited about the new species for me
basseagle83
hunter

Postby Medis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:05 pm

There are a ton of duck in the southern part of the state. I have killed a lot of Gadwall, but usually later in the year. I'm suprised you haven't killed any shovelers, they seem to be everywhere around here.
Medis
hunter

Postby poco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:35 pm

3 years ago it was all gaddys and widgeon here, now days a lot more woodys and mallard. we used to get a lot of mexican mallards too, i busted a few shovlers the other day. plus north near hatch ive seen goldeneyes pintails and a can or two. but for the most part its malards gaddys and widgeons around town.
poco
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am

basseagle83 wrote:Im in the South part o NM and I usually see mallards. The only thing I can say are abundant are mallards.

Please be a little more specific with your location. Southern part of NM is a big place. Thanks
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby basseagle83 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 am

@ medis, yeah thinking back and talking to one of my other huntin buddys, we remembered shooting a bunch of shovelers several times a few years ago. he even showed me a pic of me holding a nice one. And i knew what they were right away. But not the gadwalls. Ill be looking for them grey ducks late season then since they dont stunt my limit. Ill be looking for those pins too

4 cyber: gadwalls were N of Hatch on the Rio, Shoveler was S of Cruces, Vado area, on the Rio as well. Ive had mexican mallards in the Vado area recently. No woodys yet this year, all the rest have been mallards and a couple teals
basseagle83
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting