How has your season been thus far?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

How has your season been thus far?

Postby FastPine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 am

...Mine has been productive. I gave up on going to bnrdo and Lj, and have been much more stress free, not to mention im not hella sleep deprived from waking up at 2am to get a spot. Ive noticed success by putting out 3-6 decoys versus the dozen or two I was hunting over this time last year. Im really enjoying hunting over my new flatcoat pup, im able to hunt spots I wasnt in the past due to swift deep current. Ive also lost alot less birds. Ive gotten a good reaction using 4 standers, and maby 3 floaters in a tight group off a sandbar, w/ some cranes as confidence decoys maby 50yds away. Right now im testing how the birds react to the spinner, seems early season they lock on, lately ive noticed some weary mallards flare at 50yds. I switched over to a O/U woth IC chokes and have been loving it. Depending on the weather and the spot I may put on a Mod/IC combo. I dont miss the third shot, I spent the summer shooting sporting clays and have developed my confidense and have built up solid muscle memory..Im lovin it. Only time I would love to have that third is when flocks are in my face, and water swatting cripples. Most of my hunts have been quick before work sessions, and it leaves me groggy and tired all day, but as you guys know ITS WORTH IT!!...

So, dont be shy, how has your season been?
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Re: How has your season been thus far?

Postby vlb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I've been out on the river , south of Los Lunas. I don't like waking up at 1:00 am just to get a spot to hunt. I haven't done bad. I don't hunt weekends.
vlb
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Unfortunately for me I can only hunt on Sundays due to school and work. I have had the worst season ever. With 3 ducks total. 2 were from opening day on north zone. 2nd season for me so im sure that has to have something to do with that also.
cmm
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey Fastpine,
Glad to seee your doing well. My son and I have hunted 8 days and averaged 8 between us. We gave up on the ponds at Bernardo and La joya. It's been the river every weekend. Got my first snowgoose band last week and on the river to, imagine that!
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Postby FastPine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm

CHEWYDUCK wrote:Hey Fastpine,
Glad to seee your doing well. My son and I have hunted 8 days and averaged 8 between us. We gave up on the ponds at Bernardo and La joya. It's been the river every weekend. Got my first snowgoose band last week and on the river to, imagine that!

Only eight days?...from what I remember I used to see yer truck out there alot in the past years?..Why so little hunting this year?.
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby duck vader » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 pm

fast pine, thank you for your candid and unselfish advice as to what has been working for you. i too concure it seems by the time we get them they are on to and wary of the methods every one is enlisting. i do want to congratulate you for unselfishly sharing some thing that is working for you. i, up to now; was convinced what this forum was concieved for and my primary reason for participating, to establish an open discussion as to what we could do to help each other. you sir are a credit to this discussion and look foward to your contributions in the future. i refuse to believe the future of our sport will rely on cyber scouting and will hold on till death the brother hood of those who consider duck hunting a religion and way of life...merry christmas to you sir, an yours......duck vader
duck vader
hunter

Postby Paddydog1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:08 am

I hunted LJ 4 mornings for a total of 2 mallards and three widgeon. I'm not actually complaining about that.. I Know I know some of you guys are out there killin em. I think I've spent as much time learning my way around as I did hunting those 4 mornings. I killed a few mallards jumping some ponds close to home. I'll head down there again and hunt three more mornings. I live north of ABQ at 8000 feet so it takes me 4 hours to get down there. I'll spend a bit more time looking for spots on the river - maybe get a gate key next year. Anyhow I'm hooked again after a few years of no bird hunting - even some of the crowded conditions have been pretty funny to see even if it is in a frustrating sort of way. And yes - I have met some cool people too and of course some complete idiots as well.

It's snowing at my house today - pretty soon time for spring turkey and shed hunting. I don't have to travel so far for that.

OK that's all I got - still looking forward to a couple more mornings before the season is over.

PD1
Paddydog1
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting