how about you guys

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

how about you guys

Postby duck vader » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:13 pm

i don't know if i've done some damage to my duck hunting karma, but i've had one good am thanksgivivng when we camped on the river. i am not seeing the birds i am used to seeing at this time of year. just like others i've taken out my robo's brought in less decoys added canadas to provide confidence. doesn'st matter if you don't have birds to take a look, no matter how good your crap looks, how can one hope to fool them if they they never see what you got. i keep telling my girl (who is a first timer) the birds will come. not complaining just perplexed, i feel like my stuff looks as good as anybodies, but got nothing to even take a look. any ideas or do you think we're all still waiting. hunted the valley 37 years and have not seen it like this year, am i wrong or just to anxious because of my girl just getting in to it. thank you all and happy holidays to all........duck vader
duck vader
hunter

Re: how about you guys

Postby cyber_scouter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Sorry but it must be you. I just moved here and have been hammering mallards. Never knew it would be this good out here in the sticks.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby duck vader » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

yeah your right cyber must be me....at least using technology from your desk has told you not to go where i am going cause your pasting em where you're hunting you are the master with so little time in the sticks i am not worthy ....merry christmas any how you **** ...duck vader
duck vader
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 pm

duck vader wrote:yeah your right cyber must be me....at least using technology from your desk has told you not to go where i am going cause your pasting em where you're hunting you are the master with so little time in the sticks i am not worthy ....merry christmas any how you **** ...duck vader

Why am I a ****? You asked and wanted an answer, so I gave you an honest one. I said sorry first off. Did you not see that. Merry Christmas to you too bud :thumbsup:
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby vlb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:45 pm

duck vader

Do you have all your decoys facing in the same direction ? How close to each other are you placing your decoys ? I've had good luck with a lazy X pattern , decoys set about ten feet or more apart form each other. I used about ten to twelve decoys.
vlb
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 am

cyber_scouter wrote: I just moved here and have been hammering mallards..

Yeah..all four of them :lol3: ...Got any pics to share cyber toy?...
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:18 am

cyber_scouter wrote:
duck vader wrote:yeah your right cyber must be me....at least using technology from your desk has told you not to go where i am going cause your pasting em where you're hunting you are the master with so little time in the sticks i am not worthy ....merry christmas any how you **** ...duck vader

Why am I a ****? You asked and wanted an answer, so I gave you an honest one. I said sorry first off. Did you not see that. Merry Christmas to you too bud :thumbsup:

I love how you think a simple "disclaimer" like "no pun intended" or saying sorry first off will keep you from getting shat on for being an as shole......Here let me try....

Sorry, cyber toy, I feel bad about the leg cramps I gave your wife last night, I guess she just couldnt handle the fast pine..no pun intended..

Go back to Alaska you deuch..
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:07 am

FastPine wrote:Go back to Alaska you deuch..

I'm not from Alaska. You're kinda slow for a duck hunter. Read through the last few threads and I'm sure you can figure it out eventually. Let me help you. It's in the thread that tells everyone to kiss my a@@ by author Paddy.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 pm

been killin plenty dv call me lets go out and :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: them check out my pastpics i am gonna put more in soon of the last 3 weeks i will pm my #
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby duck vader » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:11 pm

thanks for the advice vlb i do have decoys rigged in different directions, haven't used lazy "x" but will keep it in mind i sincerely appreciate your input and welcome the exchange of info something i was under the impression this forum was invented for. not boasting or belittleing,cheap shots or jabs. i have hunted ducks in the valley since i was 13 and i just turned 49, and i am just not seeing the birds i've seen before this time a year. i am proud where i come from and where i have the honor to practice the religion of duck hunting and i might even refer to it as "the sticks" but take exception to some one new boasting of their success and in the same breath talking down as to refer where i hunt and worship as the "sticks"...share with us why your successful and the return will be 20 fold in info and respect. it my be the "sticks" but its our "sticks" and it sounds like its yours to now too cyber monkey....doesn't matter how good or bad my spread looks i am not getting the birds i need to look at it. cyber is and thats good i don't want his location but it is cool some one has got the birds looking and maybe my share will come soon, and thats all i wanted to hear. other people have birds to look at their stuff and i will keep waiting on my birds...................... duck vader P.S. let us all remember duck hunting is privelage insured by our fathers and brothers who came before us ; i can only hope our actions and words don't ever let them down........................................
duck vader
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:45 pm

you're right vader, my bad. I didn't mean for it to sound like a cheap shot. my appologies. the way I've been fortunate to get them is throwing a dozen decoys under those bushes that hang over the water by the bank. place them where the ducks in the air can see them once you give a 5 note greeter. for some reason every time I scouted I would always jump them off the water from these spots. I gave it a try and it worked. just remember to find a spot to hide where you can see the sky. the thicker and harder it is to get to that spot at the river from the road, the more the ducks like it for safety reasons.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby duck vader » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:08 pm

cyber, thanks and i to apologize. your strategy makes sense ive been putting out 3 dozen walkers with another 2 dozen floaters with 2 or 3 flocked canadas upstream for confidence as well as a flyer or two. you are on to something to many things to go wrong. what few birds go by take one pass and peel out. i've been adding and adding with worst results when it sounds like i should have been down sizing. i guess they have seen it all by the time we get them here. i am off the week between christmas and new years going to camp on river the whole week. can't wait to try cyber's strategy....duck vader...PS welcome to the "sticks" cyber we are glad to have you and thanks for the advice i'll let you know.
duck vader
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:16 pm

I also tink it may have something to do with the fact that the decoys are under the brush so as the birds pass by, they see the duck but can't get such a good look as to see it ain't a real duck, and they know real ducks would be down in there. Good luck to ya. And I didn't mean the "sticks" in a bad way. It's just different coming from flooded prairie, to the rio grande that is surrounded by "sticks," or as you all call it, "Bosque". :beer:
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Dam DV, by the time you get that stuff out its time to go home :grooving: Any way, I've gone south way south and the pressure is a lot lighter. The ducks are there, It's just getting them to you. I use 5-6 deeks under the brush too and it brings them in well. I shot more woodys this year than ever before. The bosque count is down about 40,000 from this time last year though. I usually use those numbers to guage when and where to go.
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Postby duck vader » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:07 pm

i know chew, whats occurred to me what i was trying was more about what i thought what i wanted, rather than give the birds what they want.it worked last year but such are the dangers of my new Cabellas VISA and a few vodka cranberry doubles.an over welming compulsion to order everthing out the Macks Prarie Wings catologue is just a indication of my passion not my good sense. i really do have an impressive decoy collection, anyone would impressed but oddly enough the ducks don't give a crap. it became a compulsive obsession with less and less results, the more and more added; but i am glad my brothers have talked me through the crisis of "decoy abuse" the crisis intervention is appreciated. all kidding aside i appreciate the advice and from now on if any one wants to be impressed by all my new decoys they have to come my garage because it's obvious the birds are not impressed at all. thanks guys i'll be there for you too....duck vader
duck vader
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

I know the thread is old, but there is much truth to what DV is saying. There has been a bit of a change this year in "duck traffic" some of my old "honey holes" just aren't producing as well as in the past. Fortunately though, I don't hunt the same spot over and over again so I have several "holes" to hunt. Some that were so-so in past years have been hot this year and my traditional "lights out in 35" spots have been so so.

I hunt the same way I have for many years, I think the ducks have just shifted patterns due to the availability of food. Sat a spot on the river the other day and didn't even take the safety off.......2 hours later said this is BS and went to a second spot I have never seen a duck in 15 years hunting that stretch, yep covered with birds.

DV-All I can say is hunt the way you always have, just look for a new area.

PS I would be south of you picking up your scraps, no birds there either!

Kevin
KHerbst
hunter

Postby duck vader » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:37 am

thanks kev so its not just me time to adapt...dv
duck vader
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting