Quail hunting spots?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Quail hunting spots?

Postby ghostingrey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:30 pm

Howdy all,
Hope the season going well so far. Haven't had much time lately to chase ducks and unfortunately I'm gonna be out of the country the whole month of January so I'll be missing the rest of the season. Which leads into the topic of the quail hunt I'm planning for early Feb. I kow the eastern and southern parts of the state is best but that's a lot of ground to cover. I also don't really know that part of the state to well. So I looking for suggestions as too specific areas to hunt. I'm not asking anyone to give up their secret spots. Just looking for something general like (state land around Tucamcari). But obviously the more detail the better. I'm not looking to get a limit, just want to find some birds. I was thinking about hunting the Canadian river in the Kiowa Grasslands. Anyone have any experience there? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

NM Quail hunting

Postby springerpup » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:41 am

I am new to the Santa Fe area and have only quail hunted in the southwestern area of the state. Great coveys North and South of Lordsburg. Hit one covey north of Lordsburg with at least 100 birds. The whole hill side was moving in mass. Driving from Ft. Sumner to Vaughn a couple of weeks ago I saw three different coveys fly across the highway. I have never hunted that area, but may be worth some time on any public land or getting permission to hunt on private land.

Always looking for someone to hunt with from Santa Fe. If you need a partner someday you are are going out alone.
springerpup
Newb

Postby ghostingrey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 pm

hey springerpup,
welcome to santa fe and to the site. i'm pretty new to the forum myself. i've been living in santa fe for two years now, but didn't really start hunting around here much till this season. thanks for the info, that is exactly the kinda info i was looking for. i checked the gazeteer and there's some decent state land areas between ft. sumner and vaugn. i'll probably try to head down to that area, lordsburg is a pretty good haul. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe we can meet at get into some birds before the season is over.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby springerpup » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:26 am

The coveys that crossed the highway were closer to Fort Sumner than Vaughn. Looking at the Gazetter I would start with the large tract of state land north of Yeso and work east towards Fort Sumner. If I remeber right the Vaughn area was mainly grasslands where the area closer to Ft. Sumner had some grass, but also had alot of woody growth (only 1-2 ft. tall) to provide good cover for quail. Let me know how you do.

Good Luck!
springerpup
Newb

Postby ghostingrey » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am

hey springer,
Thanks for the tips. i was outta town for like a month and haven't got down there yet. i'm gonna check it out this weekend. if i find any birds i'll let u know.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:43 pm

Sorry it took so long for an update but I did make it down to the Roswell/Ft. Sumner area for the last weekend of the quail season. Of course we missed a turn and ended up near Roswell instead of Yeso. But we did have a bit of luck on the state lands 20-30 miles north of Roswell, just off 285. There weren't tons of birds but we did get into 4 or 5 smaller coveys. As a side note, the area was just full of cottontails. We saw dozens and dozens. On the way back to Santa Fe we swung up through Ft. Sumner and Yesso. Explored the state land around Yeso but didn't have any luck. The wind had picked up by then so that might have been the problem. I'll definitely do some more scouting closer to Roswell later on this summer.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting