What's a good NM duck boat?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

What's a good NM duck boat?

Postby PeterJarmo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey there, its my first post here; In preparation for next season I want to get a boat together this summer.
I want a boat that can get me (and a couple other ppl) into some of those harder to reach areas in the river, but thats also capable of being on a lake.
Initially I was thinking about an airboat although, the more research i do the more I don't think this would be good on the Rio Grande because of the sand and the current. So now i'm down to some shallow or flat bottom aluminum boat with a mud motor, or possibly even a canoe with a trolling motor bolted to the side...
Any ideas?
I do realize there are quite a few sand bars we will have to get out and push the boat over throughout most of the river. I think it would be worth it though to get to some remote spots, and also open up some potential lake hunting.
Thanks for your ideas,
Pete
PeterJarmo
hunter

Re: What's a good NM duck boat?

Postby StevenL » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 am

That's a good question. I've been looking at everything from John boats and canoes with a flat transom on the aft end to SOT kayaks and Fold Boats. Launching on the rio is not so much a problem as getting close enough to do it without killing yourself hauling the craft is. Then too, you need to think twice about pushing or paddling your boat through or past someone else's stand on the rio because there's at least a couple guys in here that. . . Well, let me just say they have most of the virtues I dislike and none that I admire.
StevenL
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Used to run a boat on the rio grande. I had the luxury of loading and unloading with a trailer right off the side of someones land that was against the river. Canoe is too small, especially with a couple people and it makes it awkward if you are going have a dog in there also. In all reality, you dont have a good dog, you arent going to fetch your birds even if you do have a boat and you arent going to fire up the motor everytime you shoot a bird to retrieve it. DONT DO A TROLLING MOTOR EITHER!!! This is way too small and you will need a boat motor. Not necessarily a mud motor but realize on those nasty sand bars you are gonna hit them. always have spare props with you also. i have had some nightmares in losing them and being SOL because i am free floating at this point. When it comes to lake boats vs river boats... not gonna happen. i am sorry to say it. its one or the other or both. Lets be real, our rio grande is fit for no bigger than a 18' jon boat full flat bottom. this wouldnt cut it on any lake. little waves would have you all over the place and a modified V is what you need for a lake but a modified V is not fit for the shallowness of the rio grande. Also you need a big motor for a lake, no 5hp motor is gonna get you where you need to be. The problem has been mentioned by steven, launching is tough here in this state on the river. Be prepared to carry it a ways, so you need a couple guys and expect to make a few trips to get everything ready at 3 in the morning. All the way up and down the river, you can pull in so far and then you have to walk to the river, very few areas does the pull ins go in all the way to the water. i am just sayin.... I say screw the boat, put your foot work in and you wont need one. Had a hell of a season this year. shot a lot of birds and i aint about to tell you where but didnt touch foot in a boat. good luck to you, hope you think of somethin but canoe is a definite NO and a trolling motor is a definite NO because the current is too fast for a trolling motor to get upstream when the water is up enough to actually launch a boat in the rio grande. the other problem too is you arent going to use your boat all that much. our river goes up and down so much and you really cant get many places until maybe december but last week in december this year was thelowest i have ever seeen our river. So even then you may invest in something that doesnt get you very frar.
flashman252
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for your input.
I realize this may be a total pipedream and that there's probably no silver bullet to my dilemma. The river is pretty dynamic throughout the state; up by Taos its rapids so thats a complete no no, further south in the cochiti, pb area that is a bit more boatable than most places in the state. But then down in Valencia county the river is 2inches deep in a lot of spots, which is ideally where I wanted to use the boat, Valencia and Socorro counties.

I do have a key so I can drive to a lot of these river spots no problem. I just like to boat, so to combine it with duck hunting would be great, although maybe not so practical i'm starting to think.

I was doing some post season scouting on Wednesday and I found what I hope to be a great little honey hole next year, the only problem is you can't drive closer than a mile or two of it, which is what spurred a lot of this boat thinking...

I talked with an Open space officer to see what he had seen or reccomended and he's only seen non motorized vessels going down stream, nothing capable of back and forth travel. That is except for what they use: Air boats and hovercrafts. Both would be fun but not financially or duck blind friendly...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Paddydog1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm

If I had the time to use it, money to buy it and places to launch it I'd run about a 16'flat bottom with JET drive hand tiller maybe 30horse. I ran rivers way smaller then the Rio with a setup like this for work up in AK and it was a blast. Sometimes hauling ass in 8 inches of water. You quickly learn how to cut the engine and tilt the motor when you hit a sand bar to prevent sucking up rocks but all you need is a few tools to pull it apart - clear it and get going.
Attachments
CIMG0483.JPG
Paddydog1
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey Paddy,
I do like the idea of a flat bottom but was thinking more of a mud motor. Have you ever used one of those?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Paddydog1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 pm

PeterJarmo wrote:Hey Paddy,
I do like the idea of a flat bottom but was thinking more of a mud motor. Have you ever used one of those?

Nope but I'd like to check one out once. Jets are nice but you got to stay on step in the shallow water - maybe a mud motor gives you more flexability? Really I don't have a clue on that..
Paddydog1
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 pm

I tried the canoe thing on the river...It was miserable. Its far to shallow. I had a side mount trolling motor.

Right now im looking into a DIY mud motor for my canoe made out of a straight shaft weed wacker..

Fopr big water I use a 14' V hull aluminum fishing boat w/ a 15hp outboard..seems to work well with two guys and a dog, or three guys and no dog.

If one wanted a good dual purpose boat, id suggest a 14' flatbottom jon w/ a mud motor..

One year I skipped the boat thing all to geather and hunted out of my float tube.. :lol3:
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby vlb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Have you all checked the Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds
, on this site?
vlb
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:00 am

Hey FastPine, I just recently got a set of DIY plans for making one of those weedwhacker mud motors. Let me know if you want a copy of it, you might already have it i'm guessing... I found in that boat forum on this site.
Yeah vlb I've checked those sites, but most folks out there aren't really presented with NM's unique boating situation with the Rio Grande, thats why i posted up here, to get some local opinions regarding our situation... Seems like most duck boats are made for shallow marshes, timber, etc. Whereas here you need something that can deal with a damn sand bar every 50' without making you pull your hair out.
I'm starting to really lean towards that flat bottom idea, and then try to rig up some sort of DIY mud motor powerful enough to get me back up current...
Thanks again for everybody's input
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby vlb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 pm

vlb
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:51 am

Here is my .02. It all come down to scouting. the ducks never seem to be in the same place from weekend to weekend. As pressure and ice changes, so do the ducks. The water levels here are beyond me....again never the same. I have every option you speak of. 17ft Canoe, 10ft flatbottom jon, and 17ft flatbottom jon with an outboard and mudmotor. I could use these all day in the Midwest. But here they just chew up space and money for storage throughout the year. But they are there if/when I need them. You just have to get out and find 'em. My first year here, I thought we found a great place....we pounded them.......now the past 4....the ducks have never been there since....just how it goes.......best of luck.....
duckahlr
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Hey vlb, nice collection of boat varieties on that website, thx...
Duckahler, the more i look into this the more complex it gets... The rio grande changes from week to week and year to year. Its tough to find spots where you could launch most boats, especially anywhere near where you think ducks are... I think the ideal solution would be your 17ft jon boat with the mud motor, which sounds like a bit of an investment, both in storage and financially. Also it'd be tricky just trying to launch this, location-wise, and also if you just want to get out on a solo day... And even then I can think of many spots where you would have a tough time getting a jon boat over some off these vast sandbars, I don't think a mud motor can cope with our packed sand in some places...
On a similar but seperate note, does anybody have experience hunting any of the NM lakes, ie Heron, El vado, Abiquiu, etc? Is it legal?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:18 pm

No boats needed for river. Just like dukkalr, I have all kinds of boats. Skiffs, 16 ft sq stern sport canoes with mud motors, big water duck boats ect. Long and short of it, never used a boat on the river in over 18 yrs hunting the Rio. I kill plenty of ducks with out a boat. However if you are set on floating the Rio, just PM me before you go out so I know when to be hunting below you! :thumbsup:

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Dirt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 am

KHerbst wrote:No boats needed for river. Just like dukkalr, I have all kinds of boats. Skiffs, 16 ft sq stern sport canoes with mud motors, big water duck boats ect. Long and short of it, never used a boat on the river in over 18 yrs hunting the Rio. I kill plenty of ducks with out a boat. However if you are set on floating the Rio, just PM me before you go out so I know when to be hunting below you! :thumbsup:

KLH

Backgammom Bro.
Dirt
hunter

Postby nmquackerstacker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:07 pm

Here is what I picked up today! Now along with my MRGCD key, it is time to start scouting.

16' Flat bottom, SHALLOW draft, and a 10 HP ( need to look into a mud motor too ).
It's summer project time now!

Interior from Back looking front

Interior from Front looking back

Now for a camo paint job, some leafy material and some 1" conduit, and I am good to go!
nmquackerstacker
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Nice boat quackerstacker. Looks like it won't even be too much of a project, looks almost ready to go... You gonna take it on the Rio Grande?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby nmquackerstacker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Not sure just yet where we will be taking it, other than to Cochiti this weekend to make sure it won't sink.

I have gone over the engine with a fine toothed comb and all looks to be ready.

Then comes scouting, and dog work on the boat.

Thanks for the compliment.
nmquackerstacker
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:22 pm

This should do it! Check out the video. :grooving:

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/alaskan
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter