opening day?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

opening day?

Postby cmm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm

anyone able to get out today for dove? I got out of work late today so didnt get to make it. How is it looking out there, any birds?
cmm
hunter

Re: opening day?

Postby troutbum43 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 am

I took the day off work and went out in the San Antonio Area. I didn't get my limit but should have! First time in a few years shooting my twenty gauge over and under, took a while and way to many shells to get it down. Ended up with 10, the three other guys I was with limited. Just got too dang hot to keep hunting, I quit around 12:30. On the very plus side, my young pup had a great first dove hunt, found five birds in very thick grass and chollas that I never would have found and made a number of great water retrieves out of the stock pond. A fun morning all in all! Had a good morning flight, I imagine the evening was good but I was too tired to stay out (I live in Belen so I had to leave the house at 4AM to meet up with my buddies). Its a long season, no reason to burn myself out of the first weekend!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby cmm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Nice!!! congrats on the puppy too, I'm in the middle of training my 1 yr old, she isnt ready yet i started a little late with training her. I didn't think there were gonna be very many birds this year, I went out yesterday to edgewood and my buddy got 2 i got squat. Today however was a good day, 3 of us limited out and were done by about 1030.

P.S.
are there any pro trainers in our area? I'm sure i will have some questions during the course of training the pup, it will be my first.
cmm
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 am

There is a trainer in the Isleta area of Albuquerque I left my dog with for a month from July to the end of August (we were out of town a lot during that time). He did a nice job keeping him and working on a few things with him, although unfortunatly his dog went in to heat while my uncut lab was there, so ol' Niners mind was on other things, and when she was in full heat we were out of town at a funeral and couldn't take him back for a bit. His name is Thomas Pena, I'll post his blog below for you. I have heard about a few other trainers but don't know their names or anything. I'll be bring my dog back to Thomas next year during my honeymoon for sure though.

http://truchascasts.blogspot.com/

You can shoot him an email or he is on Facebook. Congrats on the limit, after opening day i've only killed 1 per hunt, I think this rain is messing them up from their normal patterns.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby huntingcrazy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:15 pm

I got my limit on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday in Las Cruces. The weather is cooling off, so expect the northern birds to be heading south any day now.
huntingcrazy
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting