New hunter/lost/asking for advise

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

New hunter/lost/asking for advise

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 am

Alright im brand new to upland and waterfowl hunting. Unfortunately I was rasied only hunting big game my dad never hunted birds and he knows nothing about birds. I started upland hunting last year and got hooked. I wanted to waterfowl hunt last year but didnt get to due to lack of knowledge, time, funds, etc. I started to purchase waterfowl gear last year and pretty much got everything except a boat. I did buy a dog and trained him he did get to dove hunt this year and did alright. Only thing I did get to do was water break him due to this wonderful state having an abundance of water. Im not asking for exact honey hole spots just areas that can be hunted. I live in abq and dont know what is near here. I didnt draw for anything this year so im going to try and get as much shoot time as possible on just birds. I have never paid to hunt before but im at the point I will as long as its reasonable. Any advise or tips I would gratefully appreciate it. Thanks.
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Re: New hunter/lost/asking for advise

Postby Escopeton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Cyber scouting is slightly disliked by many on this site. The best advice is scout and read the postings on this site for areas to go and hunt. Welcome to the world of wingshooting.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 pm

most anywhere along the rio grande you can hunt, just get a proclamation as to which counties you are not allowed to. pretty much from los lunas south you can hunt, but must get an access key to open the gates along the river.
cmm
hunter

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:17 am

Well I wasnt cyber scouting I was asking about the areas to hunt since I have no idea where I could legally hunt. I could.have just.gone down to tingly beach sat at the duck pond and popped away thats how lost I am I have.no knowledge of the areas that I could hunt. and all I said I didnt want to know yer honey hole. When I know where I can go I will go out and scout the area my self I just didnt want to be treding on private or a national reserve and pick up a fed tresspassing. Cmm I appriciate your help I will check that info out
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:36 am

And if I offended any one with my post I :biggrin: had no intention of that. But im seriously lost and have no knowledge of this hunting. I needed advise period I know if any one asks me about deer hunting I tell them the unit and area I dont tell them what draw or canyon I know where the deer are but I help them out a bit by giving them advise. But ive learned from just hunting big game alot of nm hunters dont like to help at all
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting