Need some legal shooting hours clarification

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Need some legal shooting hours clarification

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:18 pm

I just looked at the table in the Small Game Rules & Information Guide and it's not all that clear to me. Back when I lived in MI they gave you a specific time for every day of the season and depending on what area they had an amount of time you added or subtracted to that time to obtain the legal times. There is a table for Abq...is that for ONLY Abq? It also says 1/2hr before sunrise is the legal time. So for 10/8 the legal time would be 6:34 (sunrise @ 7:04)? Just want to make sure I'm reading things right! Thanks in advance.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: Need some legal shooting hours clarification

Postby PeterJarmo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 pm

You're just going to have to look online or in the paper for the sunrise/sets every day you're going to go out to know your times (then just subtract/add your 30min.) Be careful in some of the WMA's, game and fish will actually be out there waiting for anybody to jump the gun I've heard. They're strict about the 1pm cutoff at the WMAs also. Not sure what Abq chart you're talking about but don't hunt anywhere in Bernallilo county (Abq.), its not allowed...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 pm

PeterJarmo wrote:You're just going to have to look online or in the paper for the sunrise/sets every day you're going to go out to know your times (then just subtract/add your 30min.) Be careful in some of the WMA's, game and fish will actually be out there waiting for anybody to jump the gun I've heard. They're strict about the 1pm cutoff at the WMAs also. Not sure what Abq chart you're talking about but don't hunt anywhere in Bernallilo county (Abq.), its not allowed...

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I just wanted to verify that it was indeed 30 min before sunrise & 30 min after sunset...finding the times is easy enough.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:02 am

checking the newspaper is good advice so is the weather channel then simply subtract a minute in the morning and evening for every day due to winter shortening days ,up until Dec. 20 the days start getting longer again.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 pm

ajmorell wrote:
PeterJarmo wrote: I just wanted to verify that it was indeed 30 min before sunrise & 30 min after sunset....

It is 30 min before sunrise until sunset. Not 30 min after sunset, unless you are hunting upland game.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 am

Thats right cyberscouter, I stand corrected... I just hunt in the mornings so I guess I just never paid much attention to the evening times...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 pm

At daybreak or in the evening, when the bird is merely a dark silhouette, I will not fire if I can't make positive identification.
StevenL
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting