Opening day North Zone?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Opening day North Zone?

Postby PeterJarmo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:24 am

I've been tied up at work all weekend so I can't make it out... Anybody have any luck yesterday/today? I figured somebody would've posted up by now... Any ducks at pb?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Re: Opening day North Zone?

Postby blonco10 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:24 pm

We killed 6 opening morn. 5 the same evining and 3 this morn. A lot of hunters. Oh and the elk bugled all morn.
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby cmm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:45 pm

a friend of mine shot 3 opening day and we got 7 today in the morning, lost 2. not much flying passed 830 but decided to stay a bit longer and got two more mallards out of it. saw a few decent groups but were pretty high up. I wasnt expecting it to be very good today considering the amount of hunters and the 3 mils of huntable river lol but not a bad morning. the elk was pretty darn cool, it was a first for me! never had heard an elk in the wild
cmm
hunter

Postby cmm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:50 pm

hey blonco, you guys mostly get wood ducks? saw a heck of a lot more of those than anything else
cmm
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 pm

cmm, did you mean 3miles of huntable river? I was under the impression pb offered a 1/2mi of huntable river at best?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Ya there were a whole bunch of woodies. We killed 6 woodies 6 greenheads 1 widgeon and 1 teal
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby cmm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

ok ya i might have been a little high on how much river to hunt there was. I think there has got to be more than half a mile though.

blonco- pretty good variety, i didnt see any of those others though, the two mallards we shot were hens and they were the only two we saw in shootable range. did you see the group of mergansers? I think they were mergansers anyways, large w long neck and long looking beak. from a distance i thought they were geese but by the time i figured out what they were i didnt get to shoot ha ha..
cmm
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:01 am

We ended up with 3 opening morning between 2 of us but we lost one as well. Went out yesterday and shot 6, could not believe the number of guys out on a Monday.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby troutbum43 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 am

Total bust for us, the group 1/4 mile up from us sounded like the were slaying them. Oh well, have to get em next time
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 am

troutbum43 wrote:Total bust for us, the group 1/4 mile up from us sounded like the were slaying them. Oh well, have to get em next time

Saturday there was a group hunting the mid/upper portion @ PB that slayed them. We hunted down towards the south end Saturday. We killed everything we shot at. Yesterday we were the furthest group north. We did a ton of shooting just to get 6 birds, at one point we shot 9 at the same duck (3 guys all shot 3 times)....embarrassing :oops: The group hunting south of us just a bit sounded like they slayed them too. I plan to go back out Friday morning if anyone is interested in meeting up.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby cmm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:11 am

Ya that Sunday we did a lot of shooting as well. There were two of us and if we hadn't lost those two we would have needed one more each to limit out. We should have too, missed some pretty ridiculous shots, a woodie that practically landed in the deeks and couldn't hit it to save my life.

Aj- thinking of going Friday evening, gotta work. let me know how you do
cmm
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I got a mallard hen and a big merganser this morning.... Nothing seemed to want to decoy but plenty of pass shots if you paid attention (missed out on a few messing around with coffee etc.)...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 pm

cmm wrote:ok ya i might have been a little high on how much river to hunt there was. I think there has got to be more than half a mile though.

blonco- pretty good variety, i didnt see any of those others though, the two mallards we shot were hens and they were the only two we saw in shootable range. did you see the group of mergansers? I think they were mergansers anyways, large w long neck and long looking beak. from a distance i thought they were geese but by the time i figured out what they were i didnt get to shoot ha ha..

Cormorants
StevenL
hunter

Postby Hunt-R-Fish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 am

For those of you that had success at PB...what kind of spreads were you using with your decoys? I am going to PB for the first time tomorrow for an evening hunt. Thanks
Hunt-R-Fish
Newb

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 am

I only have about 15-18 mallards and they worked fine.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting