McCallister Lake?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

McCallister Lake?

Postby cmm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Any of you guys ever try out McCallister Lake up north? Thinking of taking a trip out there sometime but don't know if it would be worth the drive. I do know there is a refuge close by there but never have been there. Any info is appreciated. Is a boat a must?
cmm
hunter

Re: McCallister Lake?

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 am

I have been contemplating a trip up there as well, curious to see some responses.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 am

last time i drove by mcalister lake there was a real salty shoreline, a few salt cedars 50 yards from the water, and a bunch of dead fish. but maybe its different now.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 pm

McCallister Lake was a float tubers dream for nice rainbows. The bait anglers used to hate us as we would release twenty inch fish on a regular basis.

I have hunted the refuge surrounding the lake. I have had superb days when I would limit out early; on a couple of trips - well, zero. Having said that; I have seen waterfowl on the lake when I have done my dark geese hunts on it. But, recently it is really low and not good to look at. You may have to park outside the lake boundries and pack your stuff in, clue; park on the east side - better cover. Hunt hard.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby aggiehunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 pm

was just at the lake scouting. watched fly out and evening and the max birds at one time was maybe 10 cinnamon teal and some ruddys and redhead. i was very disappointed lake is usually great
Twitch
aggiehunter
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

would be pretty cool to shoot a redhead, never have. Any other lakes worth looking at? reason i ask is because all last year i only did river stuff and would like to try out some lakes or something new. Has anyone hunted the pecos river? Last year I saw quite a bit when I was fishing, not sure if it is even legal but i assume it is with all the bear and deer hunting out there
cmm
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Escopeton wrote:
I have hunted the refuge surrounding the lake.

so the refuge is legal to hunt as well? i didnt know that either
cmm
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

The refuge is not legal to hunt unless you get into the dark/canado goose hunt. Read the proclamation.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby aggiehunter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:34 pm

best way i have found to hunt the lakes... especially mcCallister is in the middle of it with low profile boats. its very hard to hunt the shores most of the times that's not where the birds want to be so they don't even look at you. and ya i would say that's the place to be for redheads. tons of them.
Twitch
aggiehunter
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Ah ok I guess that makes sense. Just trying to see what kind of hunting there is up north. Still anyone ever try out pecos river? Or any other recommendations?
cmm
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey twitch didn't know u guys went 2 vegas. Went scouting with the guys today we got into a lot of ducks. I gues mcallister was slow let me know nxt time u go so I can show u a nice spot there. I grew up in vegas.
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting