River access around Espanola or San Juan Res?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

River access around Espanola or San Juan Res?

Postby PeterJarmo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm going to visit a friend up near Espanola in a bit, anybody know of any river access up there? I know you can't shoot the river in the city limits, is it legal outside of the town, or further north past the San Juan res? Not trying to get a honey hole out of somebody or anything, I might hunt up there once or twice a year so PM me if you feel like letting me know or if you wanna meet up somewhere around there for a hunt...
Thanks
PeterJarmo
hunter

Re: River access around Espanola or San Juan Res?

Postby cmm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:13 pm

I know all that area fairly well but I dont think there is much area to hunt until you get closer to abiqiui i believe. From Espanola and north is most all indian property and they will take your stuff and you to jail. I have only heard once of somewhere you can hunt in Espanola but never have been there. I don't really believe that there is a place but someone told me there is. If you do happen to find anything or a legal area good luck, let me know how it is.
cmm
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply cmm, I noticed on some maps up northwest of Espanola on 84 just past where 285 splits off theres a couple of stretches of the rio chama that are on state land... I'll go scout it out and see if there's any access etc... My buddy says the rio chama is running so there should be some quackers up there. Otherwise I may drive up north of abiqiu that all looks like national forest land along the rio chama.
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby cmm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 pm

No problem, I have been wanting to try it up there but I am in school here in Alb so I haven't had the time to check it out. Ya I know north of abiqiui is legal but never tried. Do you know if you can hunt abiqiui lake?
cmm
hunter

Postby Luvduckhnting » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello, do you know of any river access around Los lunas or Belen that might be open for duck hunting. I called the middle rio grande conservancy office to get a key and they are not sure where hunting is permissible. Thanks. I hope you did well around the espanola area.
Luvduckhnting
Newb

Postby cmm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm

did you already get the key? ask them for a map of the gates that the key will open. Most of the river is huntable, check the proclamation
cmm
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Pretty much where-ever that mrgcd key will get you into you can hunt, on the river anyways. Be careful on the clear ditches...
Well as far as up here in Rio arriba county, I went to where I thought (and the maps say) is BLM land and its all locked gated off. found a couple of odd ways into the rio chama 1/4 mile out of blm land but its some sketchy area (trailer homes and loose pit bulls all over)... Gonna try for north of abiquiu tomorrow...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:09 pm

any luck out there? How far north did you have to go to find legal shooting?
cmm
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:17 pm

No luck up there. Went up north past abiquiu and then west on some dirt road FS 151 that goes to a monastery and has some good river access after about 5 miles in there. (~1hr drive from espanola) Its all national forest and eventually wilderness in there, and looks like potentially good hunting... Didn't see any ducks/geese at all though. Only ducks I saw all weekend is when I was driving through Espanola on the way home...
I did notice on the maps that there's about a mile of state and blm land on the river between abiquiu lake and the town of abiquiu downstream. There's some fields in the area also so this may be something I check out next time i'm up in the area. Not a very successful hunting/scouting trip but its nice country up there and I enjoyed just driving around.
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 pm

PeterJarmo wrote:No luck up there. Went up north past abiquiu and then west on some dirt road FS 151 that goes to a monastery and has some good river access after about 5 miles in there. (~1hr drive from espanola) Its all national forest and eventually wilderness in there, and looks like potentially good hunting... Didn't see any ducks/geese at all though. Only ducks I saw all weekend is when I was driving through Espanola on the way home...
I did notice on the maps that there's about a mile of state and blm land on the river between abiquiu lake and the town of abiquiu downstream. There's some fields in the area also so this may be something I check out next time i'm up in the area. Not a very successful hunting/scouting trip but its nice country up there and I enjoyed just driving around.

With no intention to be a stick in the mud, please be careful hunting BLM land because BLM often leases the land and the leesee can always post it for no hunting, no trespassing or both.
StevenL
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah, i noticed that further south on the rio chama just before the confluence with the rio grande. I was a bit confused by that... I knew people could lease it for grazing cattle, but didn't know they could just shut the public out altogether.... How long can you lease blm land for? Seems like someone had built a house on one plot I was trying to get through.
PeterJarmo
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting