Shooting the wrong ducks

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Shooting the wrong ducks

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm

So im not sure about this what do I do if I shoot the wrong duck like a gad or a merganser? They are not listed nut ive been seeing alot of them?
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Re: Shooting the wrong ducks

Postby jhend08 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:41 pm

You can shoot both gadwals and mergansers. Best thing to do is not shoot if you are not sure what the species is.
jhend08
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

If a duck is not listed with limits and it does not say you CAN'T shoot them they count as 'other'
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:30 pm

jhend08 wrote:You can shoot both gadwals and mergansers. Best thing to do is not shoot if you are not sure what the species is.

I'm sure you know what every duck you shoot at is :rolleyes:

I consider myself good at ID'ing birds in flight but it's not always that easy, and it depends on other factors too. If I don't have any birds in my bag I'm shooting as long as I know they're legal game. If I'm close to a limit based on sex or species then I will check and double check to make sure I know what I'm shooting at.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 pm

jhend08 wrote:You can shoot both gadwals and mergansers. Best thing to do is not shoot if you are not sure what the species is.

Exactly. When in doubt . . . DON'T DO IT. The mark of a true sportsman.
StevenL
hunter

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:48 am

Well I guess ill just have to shoot at what looks right and hope for the best
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Any ducks not listed count as other
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Mergansers are easy for me to identify. I don't shoot the fishy smelling suckers.
vlb
hunter

Re: Re: Shooting the wrong ducks

Postby ajmorell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 pm

vlb wrote:Mergansers are easy for me to identify. I don't shoot the fishy smelling suckers.

Hooded mergansers are actually decent eating, it's the commons and red breasted that taste like crap

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Humblebeginnings » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Stupid question what about teal can you only shoot them in september I have been seeing tons of them and pass them everytime cause I dont wanna break the law.
Humblebeginnings
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:39 pm

:mad: Does anyone around here actually search to find the answers to the questions they ask before asking them, or are people that **** lazy? In the time it took you to type the post above you could've gone to the NM Game and Fish website and looked it up yourself!
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby vlb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:23 pm

ajmorell
Like I said Mergansers stink,i'll never shoot another one on purpose.
vlb
hunter

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Where in the proc does it say what ducks you can and cant kill and where does it say you can hunt teal after september?
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 pm

sdrodriquez1049 wrote:Where in the proc does it say what ducks you can and cant kill and where does it say you can hunt teal after september?

Ok so the RIB doesn't state it, do you want me to look up the phone number for game and fish for you?

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Ohh I know it doesnt state it and no you dont need to look the number up its in the proc and the website but thanks for the offer. but maybe you should think before you run your mouth and call ppl lazy. And arnt you supposed to be assigned to watch out for this type of stuff ppl smashing on other ppl??? Maybe you should be listed as just a hunter not a meadiator
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Plain and Simple, it ain't worth gettin' your hackles up.

Teal have a different schedule for migration and that’s why the season for hunting them precedes the hunting seasons for other ducks in the Central Flyway encompassing most of New Mexico. What the proclamation says this year is that Teal season begins September 17 and ends September 25 but what it means is that you can hunt/harvest Teal only between those dates. Nothing else. When duck season in the Central Flyway begins for everything else, whether in the north zone beginning the 8th of October or the south zone beginning the 26th of October, any Teal Drake or Hen harvested are to be included in your daily bag limit as aggregate in the total score.
The only way anyone could shoot the wrong duck(s) would be to shoot too many of any species or shoot one too many of any species for which the limit is One. Or during September Teal season, get caught shooting any waterfowl other than Teal.
Relax fellers, it's all good.
StevenL
hunter

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:22 am

Exactly but what about new hunters that dont no anything and they are trying to get into water fowling and you got these couple of guys that like to run their mouths and smash on ppl and think they know everything about duck hunting and all of these new hunters should know everything they know.......... It bs the way some of these guys act on this fourm. I have introduced 3 guys tgis year to duck hunting they have never hunted in their life what do you think would have happened if I had called them lazy or stupid the first time I took them out? They would probably wouldnt duck hunt after that. And im tired of ppl smashing on ppl and them saying I didnt mean to target you or nothing against you or that wasnt ment for you. It bs. stevenl thanks for the clarification on the subject
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:51 am

The entire point of my rant above was that no matter what level of hunter you are you need to understand and be resourceful enough to find that type of information as it can change year to year. This was my first year duck hunting in new Mexico, how do you think I found the answers to those questions? Perhaps I could've worded it a bit differently, but I've been on edge lately reading the same questions over and over, not just here but other forums as well.

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:56 am

sdrodriquez1049 wrote:Ohh I know it doesnt state it and no you dont need to look the number up its in the proc and the website but thanks for the offer. but maybe you should think before you run your mouth and call ppl lazy. And arnt you supposed to be assigned to watch out for this type of stuff ppl smashing on other ppl??? Maybe you should be listed as just a hunter not a meadiator

Regarding the moderator comment, yes I am supposed to help "keep the peace" but believe it or not I'm no different than any one of you and get just as frustrated when I read the same things over and over again. Maybe its not the most efficient way of doing so but I'm trying to encourage people to search for that type of information on their own.

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting