How did you guys do?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

How did you guys do?

Postby cmm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Opening day south zone? any birds flying? Did that cold front help any or is the river still too crappy?
cmm
hunter

Re: How did you guys do?

Postby Gamecock16 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

I do not have class Friday so I will be going out then. I will let you know how it was. I have seen some teal down here in Las Cruces, but have not had time to make it up north. I know that my buddies back in southern Colorado saw some new birds in the area today. Hopefully there will be some birds flying.

Has there been any migration up north?
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Eh not really, we shot a few mallards last Sunday and I shot my first red head. Today we shot two hen mallards, a blue wing teal and a green wing. Was expecting to see a lot more with that cold front Colorado had but I guess not. Any one try the river near los lunas or bernardo area?
cmm
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 pm

In pueblo Colorado it was snowing all day, but was still pretty warm. Tonight it is supposed to get pretty chilly. Hopefully that will push a few birds across the border. Denver did not get the snow they were expecting but the mountains are getting it pretty good. Congrats on the red head. I have only shot one of those darn things. Are there alot of Divers to be had in New Mexico? I hunt a big lake in Pueblo and there are always more divers then puddlers.
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Gamecock16 wrote:I do not have class Friday so I will be going out then. I will let you know how it was. I have seen some teal down here in Las Cruces, but have not had time to make it up north. I know that my buddies back in southern Colorado saw some new birds in the area today. Hopefully there will be some birds flying.

Has there been any migration up north?

Lucky you. :bow: i however got screwed by all my teachers today. Instead of 4 straight days of ducks, i now have enough home work to crush a small moose. Before today no home work. Now i have 4 papers (all must be at least 8 pages), major math test to study for. 6 chapters in the scarlet letter and questions to answer on them, also through in a reflection of my thoughts on the book thus far. Graphs of all the periods and groups of the periodic table. A roll of film to fill(only hard because I am now locked in my room). and an entire chapter, and vocab memorization, to complete in Spanish 2.

not that i cant handle that, it is just ridicules it came in one day and dew on Monday. Not to leave out the fact it has ripped me from hunting. :mad: How can someone work on that when they should be in the marsh. :huh:
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Gamecock16 wrote:Are there alot of Divers to be had in New Mexico?

Personally no I don't think so. That is the first and only one I have seen. I guess a few people today really slammed them down south. A buddy of mine got 3 green heads and 3 teal this morning.
cmm
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Went out after class and checked out a pond. Sat for an hour and got one hen gwt. It was the only one I saw. Unfortunetly this same pond was holding a few more birds a week or two ago. Heading north in the morning for a quick hunt. Hopefully I can get into some big ducks.
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Well better than nothing right? haha.. How far north are you headed?
cmm
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Ya man il take it, thats for sure. Im going up north of T or C. I am going to hunt early and do some scouting before I head back to Las Cruces. I am not even sure if there is water in the river right now. I guess we will see. I am going to get up there a little early so I can figure it out.
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby cmm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Cool good luck.. the river isnt flowing worth a dang down here. They still havent closed off the ditches so that's where all the water is
cmm
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am

Ive done alright, I live west of Farmington in Kirtland. Shot 3 greenheads and a hen mallard along with a female northern pintail and a female gwt. As for the birds in Colorado there are still a TON. I went to Cortez Coloarado last weekend bass fishing and saw alot of birds on the water...there still hasnt been a big enough cold front to push many down. The geese have been here like crazy though...im pumped for opening goose day.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby jhend08 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 am

The river is terrible in Las Cruces. We have went 3 mornings in a row and all together we have killed 1 hen mallard and a GWT. Lots of birds in the pecan fields but they don't come anywhere near whats left of the river. We had 1 green head land in the dekes about 5 minutes before legal shooting time. We are hoping the river at least starts running so there will even be any water left.
jhend08
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting