River advice?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

River advice?

Postby Gamecock16 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 pm

So I was scouting after my hunt this weekend and stumbled across a few spots that I am going to try out this weekend. There is a stretch on the river that is very open on both sides and then there is tons of cover on both sides for about two hundred yards. The ducks where hanging out in the shade of the trees. Also this stretch had a little sand bar on one side which ducks were resting on.

I observed them for awhile and they stayed rather close together swimming from the shade to the sand bar. I am going back to hunt that stretch this weekend. Do ducks prefer heavy cover around the banks, or would they rather have a stretch of river where they can see around a little better.

I think I am going to put some ducks close together on the bank and a few groups( 2 or 3) towards the far bank in the shade under the trees. Also, I am going to rig up my Jerk string with a couple of dekes set up to look like they are swimming across the river from the shade to thebank. There were alot of teal last weekend and they were non responsive to calling so I am hoping the jerk string works a little better. I think this is a pretty solid plan, but am always looking for input from other hunters.
Gamecock16
hunter

Re: River advice?

Postby StevenL » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm no expert decoy guy and I don't use a call because I would probably scare away more ducks than attract them. But Hey! Your plan sounds good to me and you'll never know unless you try. Good luck to you. Happy Hunting.
StevenL
hunter

Postby cmm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I'd say give it a shot. I am no pro either but I too would try to mimic what they were doing. Is the time of day going to be different when you hunt? That's the only thing I would be iffy about, but would still give it a shot
cmm
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:53 pm

If you are a good caller, use a call. And, know when to use it. If you are learning, have someone show the basics. Bad calling is worse than no calling. Good luck.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting