10/30 Crane Hunt

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

10/30 Crane Hunt

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 am

That is all.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: 10/30 Crane Hunt

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am

NICE! i think i told you, crane is the one thing that my wife tells me I should make an effort to hunt more. enjoy!
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Now what's the deal with that? Are they abundant? A problem? It seems like such a cool bird, why shoot it?
I've heard of it, sounds odd.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Now what's the deal with that? Are they abundant? A problem? It seems like such a cool bird, why shoot it?

Yes, they are a huge problem for the farmers. They winter here in NM and literally destroy crop fields. They have really just started showing up in the area, but yes there are tens of thousands of them, if not more. It is an experience to say the least, by far one of the most fun hunts I've ever had. There is a regular season on them in the eastern part of NM, but this was a special hunt which we drew permits for in the rio grande river valley for the Socorro area. They are supposed to be excellent table fare...we shall see.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:48 pm

ajmorell wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Now what's the deal with that? Are they abundant? A problem? It seems like such a cool bird, why shoot it?

Yes, they are a huge problem for the farmers. They winter here in NM and literally destroy crop fields. They have really just started showing up in the area, but yes there are tens of thousands of them, if not more. It is an experience to say the least, by far one of the most fun hunts I've ever had. There is a regular season on them in the eastern part of NM, but this was a special hunt which we drew permits for in the rio grande river valley for the Socorro area. They are supposed to be excellent table fare...we shall see.

Thanks for the report, an excellent photo, and for sharing your experience with the rest of us. If it's not too inconvenient, please get back to us with your culinary method(s) and gastronomical opinion with Crane. . .probably another excellent report.
StevenL
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:10 am

StevenL wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

Thanks for the report, an excellent photo, and for sharing your experience with the rest of us. If it's not too inconvenient, please get back to us with your culinary method(s) and gastronomical opinion with Crane. . .probably another excellent report.

Will do. It may not be until X-mas time as I was going to wait so that I could prepare them for my dad and grandfather who are both life-long waterfowlers but neither have had crane.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Man, that sounds great. Already shaping up to be a party.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

We got these on Sunday also.

Butterfly.....pan fry rare...young ones only....adult ones sliced currently marinating for jerkey.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Jerky out of crane that almost sounds criminal, but since i have not tried it i guess i won’t cast a stone. I have always gone with stew. Crane stew is possibly the best darn stew you could possibly ever eat. Fajitas are not bad out of them ether.

Jerky... sounds like something for ducks, geese, deer, and even an elk, or antelope. but crane I dont know... :huh:
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby vlb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Prime rib . A darn good tasty bird.
vlb
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting