Whooping crane

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Whooping crane

Postby Tiburon5 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Has anyone ever seen one? What are the odds of seeing one while just out sandhill hunting. The fish and game make them sound pretty rare any time they bring them up in the proclamation and what not. In Utah they have a swan hunt (you have to draw a tag) and they make almost as big a deal over trumpeter swan. With them though you can see a flock every year, if you spend 6+ days hunting. They are also not endangered so it is legal to shoot one (they close the hunt if more than 10 get bagged though) unlike the whooping cranes. so, even though they are rarer than the trumpeter swan, is it still possible to run into them in the field :huh: ? its always cool to see something rare.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Re: Whooping crane

Postby ajmorell » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:07 am

I have never seen one. I think your odds of seeing one are slim, but not impossible. One of my hunting partners told me he read about a guy who shot one in the last couple years and brought it to the biologist check station :no:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby jhend08 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm

According to the FWS, there were 530 Whoopers left (both captive and wild) in July of 2010. There used to be a few pairs in NM but they have not been seen in several years I believe. Sandhill hunters used to have to take a crane ID course before they were able to hunt, but like ajmorell said people do end up shooting them by mistake anyway. There isn't a great chance of running into one but you never know, rare birds show up in unexpected places all the time.
jhend08
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

ajmorell wrote:I have never seen one. I think your odds of seeing one are slim, but not impossible. One of my hunting partners told me he read about a guy who shot one in the last couple years and brought it to the biologist check station :no:

I remember seeing reports about that one and I think it was at La Joya a couple two or three years ago; or it could have been Bernardo. I don't know for sure. But I do know the Whooper's are so distinctively White they could never be mistaken for a Sandhill Crane, unless some dumbhead thinks it's an Albino prize. Back in the 70's and early 80's there were a couple mated pair that would show up every now and then flying with the Sandhill's. It was a beautiful sight and always produced a lull in the shooting.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:58 pm

jhend08 wrote:According to the FWS, there were 530 Whoopers left (both captive and wild) in July of 2010. There used to be a few pairs in NM but they have not been seen in several years I believe. Sandhill hunters used to have to take a crane ID course before they were able to hunt, but like ajmorell said people do end up shooting them by mistake anyway. There isn't a great chance of running into one but you never know, rare birds show up in unexpected places all the time.

They make you do a test with the swans to. 530 in our flyway or in the world? I think 530 worldwide is not large enough to rebuild their #s without ruining into some serious genetic diseases. Hopefully that is not the case.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 am

A few years back, there used to be a hybrid that would frequent our area. But, it has been awhile since it has made an itself seen.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby jhend08 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 am

Escopeton wrote:A few years back, there used to be a hybrid that would frequent our area. But, it has been awhile since it has made an itself seen.

Now that would be cool to see. :thumbsup: It's always neat to see something different.
jhend08
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:54 pm

My son and I saw the same pair twice last year. Once in La joya and I saw them again in the field on Guadalupe and Chavez road. I have a costomer who is a biologist with the fish and wildlife service. She didn't believe me. Then I sent her the video my son took of the pair and she almost fell over. It's funny as hell because they really do WHOOP!!! when they fly.
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:27 am

so would you say they are making progress then? Or are they slowly going out. if i remember correctly they are the largest native bird to North America. it would be a shame to see such a bird wiped out for good.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 pm

I was hunting this weekend and was sitting in the brush hiding from the ducks when two birds flew over my head and one landed about 30 yards away and the other about 60. This bird was snow white and stood about 3 and a half 4 feet tall. I tried to take a picture, but i could not before it saw me and flew away. I have never seen a bird that white before. I know it was not a whooping crane, but it was just funny because I had this post fresh in my mind. I did some research and I think it was an egret. It was just strange to me because I have never seen a bird this white before. I looked at some pictures of a great egret, the picture looks similar to what I saw, but I figure it was just an Egret. Anybody ever seen something similar?

Regardless it was cool to watch them for a few minutes.
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 am

Tiburon5 wrote:so would you say they are making progress then? Or are they slowly going out. if i remember correctly they are the largest native bird to North America. it would be a shame to see such a bird wiped out for good.

Those numbers are accurate. I was just at the captive breeding facility for the Whooping Cranes at Paxtuxent NWR in Maryland 2 weeks ago. From what they are telling me the Arkansas and Wood Bison (in Canada) populations are doing pretty good, I guess the Florida population isn't doing that great. While they do have some genetic bottleneck issues (more succeptible to certain diseases) they can bring birds in from the different populations to get keep some genetic diversity going. There are starting to be more wild breeding populations. They are a pretty good example of how endangered species don't recover overnight, it takes years and unfortunatly a literal ton of money. That said things are looking up for the whooping crane, they aren't out of the woods but have come a long way. It was pretty neat to be just a few feet away from them in their pens, and their call really is super different. They also have sandhills on the sight and you can tell the difference in vocalization right away. I don't think there are any left in our flyway, and all of the hybrid sandhill/whoopers they tried to establish when things were really looking grim have died of old age by this point.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:36 pm

If a whopping crane were to be seen all hunters would have to take a waterfowl ID to hunt both snows and cranes
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:26 pm

bandgitter91 wrote:If a whopping crane were to be seen all hunters would have to take a waterfowl ID to hunt both snows and cranes

You have to be joking!
StevenL
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:06 am

StevenL wrote:
bandgitter91 wrote:If a whopping crane were to be seen all hunters would have to take a waterfowl ID to hunt both snows and cranes

You have to be joking!

what do you mean he has to be joking. i agree with him. maybe you just don't understand the statement. he is saying that if someone saw a whooping crane in the area, they would make it mandatory to have to take an id test to hunt both snows and cranes. it's done in places like Oregon's Wilamette Valley hunting for certain subspecies of the Canada Goose. the Game and Fish would be wise to make sure people knew what they were shooting at before an accident occured again on a whooping crane.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby StevenL » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 am

OK Randy, I get it now. It's just that I jumped the gun thinking there is no mistaking a whooping crane for a snow goose.
Although there are hunters who don't take a few seconds for positive ID before pulling the trigger. What is common sense to most of us doesn't always accompany others.
Sorry to have been snide Bandgitter! Your point is well taken.
StevenL
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting