Come on guys! We are better or are we?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Come on guys! We are better or are we?

Postby KHerbst » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 pm

I hate to act like a Sergant at Arms here but some of the duck hunters in NM are slobs and should be strung up for abusing the privilge.

One thing I can't tolerate.............those who deliberately over shoot. Listen I have been at this for 31 seasons now, I have had down right horrible days and days when ducks where thick as flies on Dirt's Prom Date! LOL As a rule the crew at "Smoke on the Water" shoot a few and leave a few regardless of how good the spot is. Just makes sense-

Last weekend the guys from S.O.W, dropped in on one of our late season holes to find it has been getting alot of action......not a secret anymore I guess. This is what they found...................what a shame, careless and downright stupid- Here is a tip shooters....clean up your sh1777777!!!! That way people wont know where you have been killing, not to mention the image it leaves to the MRGCD!

Let's all police ourselves by trying to pack out what we packed in.

BTW the Receipt found in the pile has been turned over......should the law dogs care to follow up they can pin point exactly who purchased what, where and when! Another tip..........those shell boxes can also be traced to the store-person and time purchased. It worked to bust a bird dumping ring in Canada last year.

You all be the judge- study carefully!

KHerbst
hunter

Re: Come on guys! We are better or are we?

Postby randy marci » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:18 pm

i removed my picture because i want to give the guilty party a chance to figure out what they are doing wrong, or further steps will be taken.

if you post pics in the field, your spots will be found. if it's not you trashing the area, there is a better than good chance it's someone you took there or found it from your pics. you wanna post hero shots, cool. but, after all they are just dead ducks. anyone with more than a years experience in this state can find them. dead mallards are nothing special to brag about. it's the number one bird we kill here. post pics back home where you don't give info away. it has nothing to do with haters. it has to do with ethics.
Last edited by randy marci on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Escopeton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:30 pm

I have to agree. Pick up your crap! I don't get why cave dwellers throw their rubbish out in the field when in pursuit of game; whether it is hunting or fishing.

As far as the the MRGCD; they are stewards of the land, not the owners and need their own posting on how poorly they are doing.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm

That's really B.S. You see it more and more nowadays. Whats the big deal about putting that crap in the deek bag. It doesn't weigh that much. Maybe the duck club should have a shell pick up day throughout the year, and ask for volunteers. If that sh-t keeps up, they will restrict hunting for sure. I sure couldn't call it a good day if I left that crap behind!! :fingerpt:
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Postby Medis » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Looks just like the spot M.R.O has been posting. Not that I think they are doing it, just saying.
Medis
hunter

Postby StevenL » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 pm

KHerbst wrote:I hate to act like a Sergant at Arms here but some of the duck hunters in NM are slobs and should be strung up for abusing the privilge.

One thing I can't tolerate.............those who deliberately over shoot. Listen I have been at this for 31 seasons now, I have had down right horrible days and days when ducks where thick as flies on Dirt's Prom Date! LOL As a rule the crew at "Smoke on the Water" shoot a few and leave a few regardless of how good the spot is. Just makes sense-

Last weekend the guys from S.O.W, dropped in on one of our late season holes to find it has been getting alot of action......not a secret anymore I guess. This is what they found...................what a shame, careless and downright stupid- Here is a tip shooters....clean up your sh1777777!!!! That way people wont know where you have been killing, not to mention the image it leaves to the MRGCD!

Let's all police ourselves by trying to pack out what we packed in.

BTW the Receipt found in the pile has been turned over......should the law dogs care to follow up they can pin point exactly who purchased what, where and when! Another tip..........those shell boxes can also be traced to the store-person and time purchased. It worked to bust a bird dumping ring in Canada last year.

You all be the judge- study carefully!

Some certainly are more conscientious, some see it as status quo, and others never do get it. Looks to me as if some of those empty hulls may be leftovers' from a season or two. Did you have a look to see if any of those hulls might not be marked as containing Steel Shot? And did you make a pile of the crap for a photo or was it already there? Not that any such arrangement makes a difference because the crap was already in the immediate area, but hey, I’ve seen the same thing more times countable, and in recent season’s especially. It’s as if whoever did it was proudly marking a piece of territory they considered their own. To say these people are like dogs pissing on neighborhood fire hydrants and crapping in your front yards is an insult to dogs. These people are more like un-neutered domestic male cats let loose from home to travel around spraying their vile scent on whatever suits their fancy; everything from windshields of cars to kitchen windows, a favorite rocking chair or porch swing on the back deck, you name it.
Hell! I feel guilty to leave results of my own bowel movement and will bury it at least a foot deep in dirt or carry it out in a plastic bag along with any additional trash left by someone else. Might seem a bit extreme to some folks but not to me because my poop is mine, and I’m not going to leave it for someone else to step in or on. Empty shotgun hulls and even .22-rim fire brass are detrimental to livestock health once ingested; and they will do it. Cattle, for example, are well known to pick up and try to eat beer bottles. Most beer bottles nowadays are made of hard plastic resembling glass that is however anything but glass as most of us may think it to be. Same thing applies to shotgun hulls except the plastic, although much softer, has a similarly attractive scent. Sheep will ingest small brass cartridge cases just because they mow grass so close to the dirt.
Litter and waste are two things the top predator on our planet is most notorious of. It doesn’t matter where any of us are, where we have been, or where we may plan to go, but cleaning up and carrying away our own crap any place and every time certainly would make a huge difference.

StevenL
hunter

Postby blonco10 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:04 am

To set the record straight I pick up all my trash when ever I am done and anybody I have hunted with or myself have not used winchester or even shooting a 20 gauge. So before you guys start saying anything find out some facts. We are more ethical than that. There are guys on here that really know me and would tell you guys that I'm more responible than that. Also keep me and team m.r.o. out of it. It is not us that are doing this. Thank you and have a good rest of the season. By the way decoying snow geese this weekend so if you guys find more stuff in that spot its not mine so that should tell you its not me or any of m.r.o.
PATO POUNDER
blonco10
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 am

That's disgusting. I do my best to pick up my shells, albeit sometimes there are a few you don't see or can't find but I do what I can, including picking up after others. It angers me to see people trash the areas we have available, especially when they are as limited as they are.

blonco10 wrote:To set the record straight I pick up all my trash when ever I am done and anybody I have hunted with or myself have not used winchester or even shooting a 20 gauge. So before you guys start saying anything find out some facts. We are more ethical than that. There are guys on here that really know me and would tell you guys that I'm more responible than that. Also keep me and team m.r.o. out of it. It is not us that are doing this. Thank you and have a good rest of the season. By the way decoying snow geese this weekend so if you guys find more stuff in that spot its not mine so that should tell you its not me or any of m.r.o.

No one even mentioned your name, why do you think everything always has to be about you :huh:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Medis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Who could this be?!?!
Medis
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Here in Illinois they have some rather large walk-in areas and the way I found the best holes was to find the ones that had THOUSANDS of shotgun shells floating in the water.

Some people pick up shells and some don't.

Sigh...
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

For the record- I dont know who was hunting in that spot. Someone shooting a 20 and a 12 with a taste for red bull and budlight. I did not mention names or affiliation.

Last year I hunted with someone new, always weary of new guys I kept a close eye. While his shooting didn't impress me, nor his calling or his decoys...................what did was his sportsmanship, knowledge of birds on the wing and most important. The guy spent the entire morning picking up others spent shells- to a point we had to pull him back to cover when birds were decoying. By the end of the hunt it was contageous we had a contest to see who could pick up the most.

As a final show of his true integrity -when we go back to the parking area, he took out a rake and garbage bag and proceeded to clean the entire area of waterfowlers trash. An entire garbage bag full!

I'd hunt with this guy any day! How about you? :thumbsup:

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Medis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

At the most we have a case of littering here, possibly negligent use (alcohol). Both misdemeanors that occurred out of the presence of law enforcement. With either crime not being one of the NM misdemeanor warrant-less arrest exclusions, and the heavy burden/effort it would take to prove something like this in court, I don't think the law dogs will do much. The amount of effort it would take to complete the follow-up investigation, banking on the assumption that these people used credit cards, not cash AND were the ones who were actually hunting AT the time THIS particular mess was made, would be asinine. It is a lot easier to create reasonable doubt than it is to eliminate it. But, thank you Mr. Herbst for letting the law dogs know, I am sure they will now keep a closer eye on the spot hopefully eliminating this problem in the future.
Medis
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Idea! Everyone carry a camera on them while hunting, and when you see stupid people doing stupid stuff, take a pic and post it here so we can all be detectives and pin point offenders. If the law won't do it, maybe we can help to do it. I'm sure G&F wouldn't have a problem taking care of business if we do all the hard work involved, and hand them all of the evidence. So let's start a thread entitled "People who want hunting to go away," and we'll start to post our evidence there.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby 2birds1stone » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:31 pm

I've been lurking on the pages here learning about duck hunting, as I don't have any family that hunts them. For the last couple of seasons, I've been hunting a small pond in my back yard, which of course I have all to myself.
Today I went for my first hunt on public land and I have to say, I was really disappointed with what I saw.
once the sun was up, I started noticing the empty shells that seemed to be everywhere. I was always taught to leave it cleaner than I found it and I did, but I guess some people don't teach that to their kids.
Later I saw a couple of guys walking along a berm who shot a coot, injuring it without killing, and left it there alive but unable to fly. Guess who had to do their dirty work?
On the way back to the truck, found a mallard just thrown there on the goddamn ground at the parking area.
2birds1stone
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:20 pm

The real problem is not one or two people that shoot boxes of shells, because then they think about it and pick them up. It is when someone unloads their gun, go pick up their bird and have forgotten their 3 spent shells. Or they think that 2 or three shells are no big deal. There is no excuse for bottles and boxes extra. I think it would go a long ways if shell companies made the shell more biodegradable

Disclaimer I do pick up my shells ect.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:00 am

Last weekend I filled a grocery bag full of hulls, beer bottles and soda cans before I left PB. To the guy that really likes Dr. Pepper, please take care of your trash so that I don't have to.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 am

Hunted this afternoon nut got skunked so while waiting for ducks that werent there lol I picked up 60 shells I hinted this same spot last week and it was clean so this was done over the weekend it is out of control. And the ppl hunting there let their dog take a dump inside the blind area what kind of ppl are really out there hunting around us?
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 am

sdrodriquez1049 wrote:Hunted this afternoon nut got skunked so while waiting for ducks that werent there lol I picked up 60 shells I hinted this same spot last week and it was clean so this was done over the weekend it is out of control. And the ppl hunting there let their dog take a dump inside the blind area what kind of ppl are really out there hunting around us?

Funny you mention the part about the dog crap, there was a blind I walked by one afternoon that a person had defecated in :no:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:40 am

That is just sick we have some real special needs hunters hunting around us
sdrodriquez1049
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting