Watch out for....

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Watch out for....

Postby Pintail2020 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Hey guys, i was hunting one of my spots on ute lake yesterday when i got to our spot i realized i didnt have my wallet. Well it was to late to go back, so after an unsuccesful hunt we get back to the ramp after the go devil putted us back couldnt get the rpms higher then 2200 and we almost swamped the boat from the massive waves, when i get to the bed of the truck to find someone had popped the bed cover and stolen my wallet and gone through the gun cases and everything else. Not only did my drivers license and military id get jacked but my hunting license from texas and new mexico. So the bad news, according to the new mexico fish and game hq, they will not replace the id nor can i buy a replacement. Awesome the migration isnt in full swing yet and i am sidelined. Not exactly the best position for the chairman of the clovis amarillo and lubbock delta waterfowl chapter. Anyways not that there are many duck hunters in ute lake but look out for anything. There was a guy in an army acu top walking dogs and looking suspicious when we pulled up to the ramp. Funny he suddenly disappeared when we got out of the boat. Anyways guys rack em and stack em. Good shooting
Pintail2020
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:06 am


Re: Watch out for....

Postby randy marci » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:02 pm

wow..... :fingerhead:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
User avatar
randy marci
State Moderator
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 pm
Location: Bernardo/La Joya with my dog Ruger

Re: Watch out for....

Postby StevenL » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Pintail2020 wrote:Hey guys, i was hunting one of my spots on ute lake yesterday when i got to our spot i realized i didnt have my wallet. Well it was to late to go back, so after an unsuccesful hunt we get back to the ramp after the go devil putted us back couldnt get the rpms higher then 2200 and we almost swamped the boat from the massive waves, when i get to the bed of the truck to find someone had popped the bed cover and stolen my wallet and gone through the gun cases and everything else. Not only did my drivers license and military id get jacked but my hunting license from texas and new mexico. So the bad news, according to the new mexico fish and game hq, they will not replace the id nor can i buy a replacement. Awesome the migration isnt in full swing yet and i am sidelined. Not exactly the best position for the chairman of the clovis amarillo and lubbock delta waterfowl chapter. Anyways not that there are many duck hunters in ute lake but look out for anything. There was a guy in an army acu top walking dogs and looking suspicious when we pulled up to the ramp. Funny he suddenly disappeared when we got out of the boat. Anyways guys rack em and stack em. Good shooting


Dude! That's outrageous. They won't replace your NM license? Go back to the outlet where you bought the damn thing, politely ask them to retrieve the record, make a copy of it and pay the (what is it $7-$10 fee) for a new license. If you can't do it where the license was issued then go to the nearest NMDGF office. Freaking hassle. GAWD! What kind of Chicken DO DO is that? Not cool you have to pay additional money but what the heck. F'ing Chalk it up to experience and please accept my personal apology for being treated so poorly in NM.
StevenL
hunter
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA

Re: Watch out for....

Postby cyber_scouter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am

So the chairman of the Clovis, Amarillo, and Lubbock Delta Waterfowl didn't have a license on him while hunting, meaning he was hunting illegally (at least it would have been where I'm from). I think the second posting in this thread said it all.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby KHerbst » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

That sucks dude and what a hassel, again string the guy up when caught!

On lighter note, skip hunting in NM stay in TX, more birds there. lake catherine is on fire. Pics from the last weekend!

Go get'm! :wink:

Image
KHerbst
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Pintail2020 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Wow never fails you have the one guy who pics the wrong part of the story to focus on. Anyways i am not on here to start a fight, just putting some info out there. Thanks for the advice and i am going to look deeper into the replacement thing. And yes i was wrong for continuing the hunt, however we know the warden and he would have justified it as an honest mitake. But i already know that more shots are going to be coming because rather then come together as brothers of the hunt we would rather point out each others flaws. Blow on my candle so yours looks brighter
Pintail2020
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Watch out for....

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:53 am

Pintail2020 wrote:yes i was wrong for continuing the hunt, however we know the warden.


so you know the game warden, so what. you shared too much information, and thus you get called out for it. this thread should have either been out a) your truck getting broken into at ute lake, or b) a question about replacement license. next time careful what you say on the internet, mr chairman.
User avatar
bluewing77
hunter
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: elev. 6820, central NM

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Dirt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am

I have a house in Logan. It was broken into this summer. Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Did you report to Logan police? Waterfowl hunting there is about a thing of the past. I bought the place at what seems to be the start of what could be a 50 year drought. Soon Ute lake will be drained (like the rest of the lakes in NM) through a pipeline to clovis area. My suggestion is to get some goose decoys and hit that panhandle of Texas. By the way my house is for sale in Logan if interested.
Dirt
hunter
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Medis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

bluewing77 wrote:
Pintail2020 wrote:yes i was wrong for continuing the hunt, however we know the warden.


so you know the game warden, so what. you shared too much information, and thus you get called out for it. this thread should have either been out a) your truck getting broken into at ute lake, or b) a question about replacement license. next time careful what you say on the internet, mr chairman.


Yes, I agree with Bluewing. You are basically saying, "Well, I know the warden so the rules don't really apply to me as much as the next guy." That's not right.
Medis
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm

Watch out for....

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:57 pm

No all he's saying is he made an honest mistake and left his wallet in the truck!! If I launched my boat drove the 45 min boat ride set up and realized I left my wallet in the truck I would make the hunt. He paid for a license and has one. Yes it was not on his person but even if he got a ticket all he would have to do is sen a copy to the judge and the ticket would be void. The same has happened to me and I'm sure countless others. I swear some people's kids!!
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Pintail2020 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 pm

I wasn't saying I could get out of trouble.I was saying I could justify my. Actions to the authorities. It had nothing to do with saying I will get preferiential treatment I expect a citation if I don't have it on me...however I am an owner of a license I am not just sitting in a blind without one saying I can get away with it. I am more then willing to have authorities do there job and cite me. This is one of the reasons we are losing hunters in this country every season. What happened to the brotherhood. My local hunters back in texas would never treat people this way.
Pintail2020
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Watch out for....

Postby marfabadger2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:59 pm

It pretty much amazes me that there are a bunch of guys willing to waste their time condemning a guy for accidentally leaving his wallet in the truck while hunting. Is there a requirement to have your license on you when you hunt? Yes. Is it a major infraction? Nope. Is there a game warden in the United States who has written that ticket? Sure, probably a few. But the only way a warden is going to write it is if: (a) it is in conjunction with other, more serious infractions, or (b) the hunter has been a jackass and made the warden mad. Let’s be clear about something: there are two potential infractions at issue in a situation like this. The first is the minor infraction we’ve already discussed: owning a license but failing to have it in physical possession while hunting. The second, more serious potential infraction is not owning a license. Nobody is saying Pintail 2020 didn’t own a license. So relax. Next, so what if Pintail 2020 says he knew the warden? Whether he knew him or not, he wasn’t going to get the “license not in physical possession” ticket anyway, unless he twisted off or had too many ducks or something. So we can all breathe a sigh of relief in that no corruption is afoot. In fact, if he knows the warden, chances are that the warden has checked him before and knows he owns a license. So license infraction scenario # 2 is clear, and now we can all breathe another big sigh of relief. Moving on now to the PERTINENT part of the post: yes, they do sell duplicate licenses. The clerk you talked to was wrong. Besides that, hunting without the license in the meanwhile is a violation of the minor infraction, but you would nonetheless not be guilty of the major one, because you own a license. I like the idea that that one guy had: go to the place where you purchased the license and get a photocopy proving it (but do get a new federal duck stamp, regardless, as there is no “owning” vs. “possession” distinction there). With copy in hand, now we are clear of both violations, and we can all breathe a big, final sigh of anxiety-subsiding relief. Whew! I feel better already. Hope y’all do too. If you don’t, then too bad. I don’t have time for pretend problems. There are too many real ones. Like people who shoot early, shoot late, sky blast, and shoot too many ducks. I know none of you do that, though. If you do, just make sure you have your license in physical possession. That way we can forcefully take it away from you and tear it up.
marfabadger2
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Watch out for....

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Good post badger! But occasionally there are wardens who MUST write a ticket. Last year me and the wife shot a limit of teal in 10 minutes. We were picking up to leave. The warden came over admitted he had been watching u's to see if we shot any wood ducks, which we did not. He then checked our guns and all our shells and was not having any friendly conversation. He then checked all our bags and licences. My wife did not have her hunter safety card on her person. She has her license but he said she must carry her safety card...... I've never heard that?! Anyway no big deal we took the ticket, mailed our copy of the card to the judge and all was well.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Watch out for....

Postby marfabadger2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:51 pm

About Smackaduck's wife getting ticketed for not having her hunter safety card in possession --that's too bad. It was a silly ticket for the warden to write. He was probably in a bad mood after dealing with other hunters who were less conscientious. I used to be a prosecutor some years back, and I dealt with game wardens a lot. Most of them had the same view I do: game laws are becoming less and less reasonable all the time. It's a function of us becoming more and more bureaucratic as a society--we'll get you for this, we'll get you for that, ticket, ticket, ticket. I'm not poo-pooing game laws or gan wardens. Quite the contrary--we need 'em, man. But if we write any and every citation that we can, every time, the result is that courts and law enforcement get so backed up with cases and paper that they can't do what they are really intended to do--get the BAD guys. The same is true of some of the posts we see here. Instead of spending time wahh-wahh-ing and fighting about dumb stuff, let's talk about hunting.
marfabadger2
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby KHerbst » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Been there done that!

I have no problem admitting I have been in the blind-boat etc having left my license in a vehicle or jacket..............so what-- it happens! If they wrote me a ticket..........so be it, I send a copy to the officer within 24 hours or to the judge. The law is designed to stop people from hunting without, they (Game and Fish) have little time for messing with a simple license violation.

I have a good friend who has been a CO for over a decade now, we hunted together quite a bit back in the day. During which I would ask "what if" questions until he or I were blue in the face. Finally he stopped me and said "listen, just like any officer--if I feel like writing you a ticket I can take one walk around your truck-blind etc and find at least 1 violation to write a ticket for"!

Enough said, whether it be a speeding ticket or game violation your best bet is to be polite and honest. I am sure the CO has forgotten his wallet or glasses a time or two as well!

Again sorry to hear about your ordeal!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Getting the ticket and going to court and showing proof of license is one thing. Posting the fact that you hunted illegally on a public forum and then saying it's ok because you know the game warden in the area is another. If this is the case, who's the idiot, the one who got the license stolen because he forgot it, or the one who spent money on a license in the first place since he doesn't need it anyways because he "knows" people. Not to mention the fact that this guy is a DU Chapter Chairman. Regardless, that does suck that someone broke into the truck and stole anything at all. I hope it gets recovered.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Watch out for....

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 am

cyber_scouter wrote:Getting the ticket and going to court and showing proof of license is one thing. Posting the fact that you hunted illegally on a public forum and then saying it's ok because you know the game warden in the area is another. If this is the case, who's the idiot, the one who got the license stolen because he forgot it, or the one who spent money on a license in the first place since he doesn't need it anyways because he "knows" people. Not to mention the fact that this guy is a DU Chapter Chairman. Regardless, that does suck that someone broke into the truck and stole anything at all. I hope it gets recovered.


Did you not read all the posts above this?!?!
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Watch out for....

Postby cyber_scouter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Smackaduck wrote:
cyber_scouter wrote:Getting the ticket and going to court and showing proof of license is one thing. Posting the fact that you hunted illegally on a public forum and then saying it's ok because you know the game warden in the area is another. If this is the case, who's the idiot, the one who got the license stolen because he forgot it, or the one who spent money on a license in the first place since he doesn't need it anyways because he "knows" people. Not to mention the fact that this guy is a DU Chapter Chairman. Regardless, that does suck that someone broke into the truck and stole anything at all. I hope it gets recovered.


Did you not read all the posts above this?!?!



Yeah I did. Pintail wrote- "I was saying I could justify my Actions to the authorities." If you follow the law and don't hunt illegally in the first place, you don't have to justify your actions.

Smackaduck, you wrote in a post "But occasionally there are wardens who must write a ticket." Why is it only occasionally? If someone breaks the law, the warden is obligated by law to write that ticket. I guess if you "know" a warden, then you may come across that occassion where they don't write that ticket. But for those of us new to this state who don't know anyone of importance, then we meet mister warden on the occassion when he must write that ticket. Ain't fair. Hell the guy should get a ticket just for posting about hunting illegally. I'm going to start a DU Pena Blanca chapter and be the chairman, that way I can meet some game and fish folks so when I hunt illegally I can "justify my actions" and all will be forgiven. :fingerhead:


Pintail wrote- "What happened to the brotherhood. My local hunters back in texas would never treat people this way." Well when I took hunter education class I was told NEVER hunt without a licese on you. Maybe NM hunters just have some ethics. I didn't post a pic of a dead doe and say that it was standing behind a tree and I thought it had horns so it was an honest mistake. Where's the brotherhood? Fact of the matter is, Illegal is illegal. You just got called out on it by some ethical hunters and you have the nerve to say..come on, where's the brotherhood?
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Pintail2020 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:48 pm

I have no idea what it is you want me to do. I have admitted i was wrong, but me be being wrong (and i know there going to shut this down and i am ok with it, remove me from the site it is not worth it) is still no excuse for you being a major butt with a severe confidence issue , which is why you attack everyone on the site and never relent on any issue. What a prick, for those who backed me thanks, but i have seen nothing but people screw other people and bitch when someone asks for help in furthering their education on the sport or in helping get started in it. For all the real hunters who know that educating people on conservation is great for the sport and the future thanks. For those who use this for a free place to attack others , you will get yours one day.
Pintail2020
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Watch out for....

Postby StevenL » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:54 am

No worries Pintail! Your rebuttal, however lacking crass innuendo and self- righteous aggrandizement, is straight up and to the point. The only problem I see is that you bit into a rotten apple dangled in front of you by the . . . uh . . . things that are supposed to be on the outside of a porcupine.
StevenL
hunter
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA

Re: Watch out for....

Postby graysonwyatt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

If you buy your license online, you can just print out another one.
graysonwyatt
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby emmerdoug » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Pintail you can get a copy/replacement lic. from NMG&F. A few years ago I lost my shell holder by the river. Went to the G&F office & got a new license for $3 I think, I did have to get a new duck stamp too. Another hunter found it a week or so later & called me to return the shell holder & lincense. Good luck getting any of your stuff back.
emmerdoug
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:56 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Medis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:18 am

I like the cyber scouter...straight up
Medis
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Watch out for....

Postby sdrodriquez1049 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 am

Wasnt this posr to be about looking out in the area this guy was hunting because there is a theif in the area??? im not trying to smash on anyone but seriously this was a heads up for ppl to watch yer stuff or its going to be stolen. but the one thing that did bug me and I know you didnt say his name but the fact of the throwing out you know an officer. I work in law enforcement and I dont care who it is that I know they better not ever throw me out and try to use me as leverage to get away with breaking the law. And yeah I am one of those jerks that will nail anyone that does anything wrong no breaks and yes the guy that would give his own mom a ticket. If you break the law you are going to own up to it. But again im not smashing on anyone but seriously alk of you guys work hard for your money and spend it on yer gear so its not a good feling when your property has been stolen by some tard that has nothing better to do.
sdrodriquez1049
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Watch out for....

Postby Paddydog1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 pm

sdrodriquez1049 wrote:and yes the guy that would give his own mom a ticket.



NO DUDE not your mother :hammer:

Actually the best Game Wardens I have seen in action are the rational ones that know when to give a ticket or not and not the ones that give a ticket to every possible occassion :no: There is more to it then writing tickets for stupid crap :beer:
Paddydog1
hunter
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests